Pics of a mechanical Chevy fuel pump on a go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderkart

Reaction score
Pics of a mechanical Chevy fuel pump on a Race Kart

Yesterday at the races I ran across this kart that has a Chevy fuel pump that operates off an axle mounted eccentric that'd been custom machined. I just thought some of you hard core DIY'ers enjoy seeing these pics:

The owner claimed the eccentric was designed with a fairly low amount of lift to only produce about 1 PSI of fuel pressure but it still had plenty volume to supply the Tillotson carb. These carbs dont have a float bowl and the pump obviously wont work until the axle is turning but the kart was direct drive so the highly modified flathead Tecumseh motor fired right up and ran great when push-started.

He had the pump mounted to the caliper with a prety beefy looking Aluminum bracket they'd made up. He cleaned off and re-greased the eccentric between each race. He could of achieved the same results with a $20 Pulse Pump but I just thought the whole concept was toataly ingenious.
(although using a set-screw instead of those wire ties woulda been a nice finishing touch)

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
dude thats freaking cool!awsome idea on his part. when i read the title i was like ohhh why would you wana do that ahaha.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
i was wondering how often he would have to replace that pump. mine on a ford cost 30. on my cat 350, the emissions tube is aftermarket and long enough, so i directed it to the chain. if oil does come out, it lubes the chain. i wouldn't think grease in an open setting would hold for that long or at those rpm. is this guy a marine by chance? you know, adapt, improvise, overcome.

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey, I forgot all about this thread. Sorry for not replying sooner.

Freak: Yeah I thought it was freaking cool! awsome too and wasnt so sure how to title this thread.

Mike: It sounded like this pump had been instaled quite awhile back and it'd been holding up well. He re-lubed it between each race and our tracks only a 1/10-mile long: So with our 10 lap heat races/40 lap main events that figures out to getting lubed every 1 or 4 miles.

Looking at the pumps lower portion, I got a feeling this pump's a race car model he'd probably scavenged from an old Late Model engine or something.

Not sure about the military thing, (although thats a dang good posibility) but most all these dudes I race against used to race late model stock cars but switched over to racing karts after Manzanita Speedway closed down here.

hd4ou: He had this kart set up direct-drive, (no clutch) so when ever he stops the engine would have to stall anyway. With this pump design and his carbs lack of a conventional float bowl, it gave him a prety good excuse to save money and not a clutch...

Status
Not open for further replies.