Picnic table

Wakekrawler

Reaction score
Last year I bought a seasonal trailer at a recreational trailer park. Everyone runs around on golf carts. I looked into buying a cart and a reasonable one is $5000 where I live. Jacked up knobby tires ones are usually $8000. I noticed some people had two, one to carry chairs to the waterfront, and one to carry the family. I thought I could build one hell of a motorized picnic table for 5G's. I'm here looking for advice on drivetrain setup. I'm an experienced welder, rock crawler fabricator, and elevator mechanic near Toronto Canada. I appreciate your input.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
wheel what are your parameters. what do you want you top speed to be. how high off the ground how off-road capable?

Wakekrawler

Reaction score
Well, I'd like a tire maybe around 28". No suspension. Off road capable to traverse a dirt road and grass.. Top speed is something I have been trying to decide. I want it geared low to be able to move a table full of adults, but not so low it needs the motor screaming to go anywhere. Id say top speed of 20 mph is good since the park speed limit is only 10 km/h (6mph)
Im new to the clutches and chains. I'm thinking an axle with a sprocket and a brake. Hard mounted to the table frame. Motor over and slightly behind the axle. What do you think?

Snaker

Reaction score
Big project.
My first thought was a donor riding lawnmower as the powerplant/drive. But you would probably have to gear that down to move the total weight. That's going the wrong direction from your 20mph goal.

Might be more feasible to chop up a junker SUV. Strip it down and replace the body with your table

Wakekrawler

Reaction score
There's park rules.. It has to be a small engine. Electric vehicles arent allowed. I did get a junker riding lawnmower, but the way the pully goes the motor would have to be under the table. Cant have that need the motor either at the front or back. Also need brakes my mower doesnt have brakes.
It is not a weekend project, but that is OK. I have patience.
I was considering a small ATV with a clutch that is chain driven to start with.. But then ran across sites for carts that sell axles and bearings and brakes.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
well I saw a pic of a riding lawnmower pick nick table. but maybe you are thinking of something more like this.
I would still consider a riding lawnmower but maybe just use like the tires. I think that the engine would probably have enough oomph to move it. If you don't think so than a garden tractor could also work. atv may work but you could probably find a used golf kart for the same price.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
There's park rules.. It has to be a small engine. Electric vehicles arent allowed. I did get a junker riding lawnmower, but the way the pully goes the motor would have to be under the table. Cant have that need the motor either at the front or back. Also need brakes my mower doesnt have brakes.
It is not a weekend project, but that is OK. I have patience.
I was considering a small ATV with a clutch that is chain driven to start with.. But then ran across sites for carts that sell axles and bearings and brakes.
If I may ask, where do you live?