Peerless 700 Transmission Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Hello fellas, I'm just gonna cut right to the chase: I'm gonna use a Peerless 700 transmission on my go kart. I understand they are used in lawn mower racing, so they are durable. Anyway I've done some searching around and learned a lot about them. My problem here is that i need a bigger output sprocket than the factory one (which is an 8 tooth). These transmissions were built with a fine 36 spline output shaft or a thick 9 spline output shaft. I found part numbers for bigger sprockets on heymow. The 15 tooth sprocket is 786111. The issue here is that despite my searching i can't figure out if it fits the 36 fine spline or the thick 9 spline. I have included three pictures. The first of which is the tranny with the thick 9 spline output. The second is the fine 36 spline output. The third is the factory 8 tooth sprocket. What I'm looking for in this thread is when you order one of the bigger peerless sprockets, for example the 15 tooth (786111), does it come as a 9 spline or 36 spline? Also what about a brake rotor? Fine spline or nine spline?

Attachments

• $_14.JPG
    $_14.JPG
    1 KB · Views: 90
  • perrless700.jpg
    perrless700.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Peerless_5_Speed_Walk_Behind_Lawn_Mower_Transmission_36_Spline_700-023-front.jpg
    Peerless_5_Speed_Walk_Behind_Lawn_Mower_Transmission_36_Spline_700-023-front.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 14396.jpg
    14396.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I would order the correct on to fit my transmission but I'm silly like that. :idea2: Call whoever you're going to order the sprocket from and tell them the spline count to be sure you get the correct one. Those pictures told us nothing about what trans you have now.

Denny
:feedtroll:

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Yeah I've watched that video many times. He used the 8 tooth sprocket on it. His configuration is a bit different than what I'm doing. Also I havn't yet ordered my tranny, so should I order the sprocket first and then order the tranny based on the type of spline the sprocket has?

machinist@large

Reaction score
These trannies may be used for racing, but the way the guy in the video was shifting it will kill one really quick. These thing's don't have synchronizer's!! They were never designed to shift on the fly!!! To use one like this is up to you, but you need to know that when it fails, most folks aren't going to be very sympathetic..

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
I'm not making a race kart, I just want my recreational go kart to have multiple speeds. I don't care if I have to replace the shift keys a lot either. As for the engine it is horizontal shaft. Also what if I double-clutch it when shifting? Will that be easier on it and make it last longer?

machinist@large

Reaction score
I'm not making a race kart, I just want my recreational go kart to have multiple speeds. I don't care if I have to replace the shift keys a lot either. As for the engine it is horizontal shaft. Also what if I double-clutch it when shifting? Will that be easier on it and make it last longer?

If you're using it as a range box you should be OK. That being said, these things aren't designed to shift on the fly.

Double clutching is an old technique used in large over the road trucks like semi's that was being fazed out in the trucking industry back when I was small child over 40 years ago. No one has built a transmission for over the road use (including all passenger cars w/manual trannies) since then.

That being said, the only way you would have access to the proper training for that procedure would require that you know someone with such a rig.

Anyone who claims that they can teach you in a FWD car built and sold in North America in the last 30 year's is feeding you a line of :censored:

machinist@large

Reaction score
What is a range box? Just not shifting on the fly?

Think low range on a 4×4 truck. You cannot shift into or out of low range while in motion without damage. It sound's like you plan on using it to extend possible gear ratios available to you without changing sprockets. Should work fine (but without photos of your actual build, all I can say is should.)

Like I said, these things don't want to be shifted on the fly; engage the gear you want at a stand still, then go for it, they can handle a surprising amount of power.

Just go easy...

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Yeah that's basically what I want to do. Would an 8 tooth sprocket do the trick? The thing is that I have a 54 tooth sprocket in the rear axle and it's gonna be a pain to change it to a smaller sprocket. So if I go from a pulley on the engine to pulley on tranny, then 8 tooth output on tranny to 8 tooth on Jackshaft and lastly 33 tooth on Jackshaft to 54 tooth on rear axle will that work? Will I get enough low end and high end out if it? Like a good range of speeds is what I mean. What would you recommend for engine pulley size and transmission pulley size?

machinist@large

Reaction score
I've only got one of those in my possession, and its still in use in my commercial lawn mower (where its gonna stay!!!!!). The care and feeding instructions are basically a rough quote of the owner's manual.

I think I can sense what you have in mind: how you get there is in your court. I just wanted to make sure you didn't blow good money out the window based on an online video....

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
You might get a few good answers here, but i would post your question over at Heymow as well. They are the guys who could tell you right away
I don't, Again Try the Mower forums Tractor.net or Heymow.

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the help I really appreciate it. I think I have some options, and I have found some information on heymow about a similar situation to mine. Thanks again for all the responses and the help! You fellas helped me out a lot!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.