Pedal lock+BOT switch

cn1323

Reaction score
First-timer here, this karting race my team is taking part in requires each kart to have a mechanism to limit brake pedal travel during normal functioning of the brakes, and also a brake-over-travel switch in case of brake failure to shut the system down. The pedal lock must be made such that it functions only when brakes are functioning properly, and brake failure leads to this locking mechanism to fail and thus over-travel causing BOT switch actuation.

The race is a national karting event for universities and it's not a very high-budget event. Seniors I've asked haven't taken part in events requiring this sort of mechanism either. I've been trying to find information about such kinds of braking mechanisms but can't find anything on even normal pedal locks, let alone while having a BOT switch. Does anyone have any advice on how to implement this?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds stupid and dangerous. I’d like to meet the genius who thought that up. They are not thinking of your safety. You need brakes before you hit the wall not after.
Now if you are wanting to hit the wall really hard I’m sure we could accommodate you.

cn1323

Reaction score
This is all that's mentioned in the rulebook about these two systems. I simply cannot think of a way to get a travel limiting device to also fail in case of brake failure. The two mechanisms together sound almost oxymoronic.

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 4

Functional Artist

Reaction score
It sounds like you need an APPS or Accelerator (AKA throttle) position sensor
...& a BOTS Brake Over Travel Switch
...& a BSPD or Brake System Plausibility Device

They both send signals to the BSPD
...then, "if" the accelerator is actuated while braking
...or "if" the brake pedal was to "over travel"
...the BSPD will "kill" the "power" (gas or electric) going to the wheels. ;)

Here is some info from the Formula SAE RULES 2022

EV.5.5 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor - APPS
EV.5.5.1 Refer to T.4.2 for specific requirements of the APPS
EV.5.5.2 Drive by wire control of wheel torque is permitted.
EV.5.5.3 Any algorithm or electronic control unit that can adjust the requested wheel torque may only lower the total driver requested torque and must not increase it.
EV.5.6 Brake System Encoder - BSE
EV.5.6.1 Refer to T.4.3 for specific requirements of the BSE EV.5.7 APPS / Brake Pedal Plausibility Check
EV.5.7.1 The power to the Motor(s) must be immediately and completely shut down when both of the following exist at the same time: • The mechanical brakes are actuated • The APPS signals more than 25% pedal travel This must be demonstrated at Technical Inspection
EV.5.7.2 The Motor shut down must remain active until the APPS signals less than 5% pedal travel, with or without brake operation.

EV.8.7 Brake System Plausibility Device - BSPD
EV.8.7.1 The vehicle must have a standalone nonprogrammable circuit to check for simultaneous braking and high power output
EV.8.7.2 The BSPD must be provided in addition to the APPS / Brake Pedal Plausibility Check (EV.5.7)
EV.8.7.3 The BSPD must Open the Shutdown Circuit EV.8.2.2 when both of the following exist:
• Braking hard without locking the wheels
• Motor/Accumulator current is at a level where 5 kW of electrical power in the DC circuit is delivered to the Motors at the nominal battery voltage. The BSPD may delay opening the shutdown circuit up to 0.5 sec to avoid false trips
EV.8.7.4 The BSPD must Open the Shutdown Circuit EV.8.2.2 when there is an open or short circuit in any sensor input
EV.8.7.5 The team must have a test to demonstrate BSPD operation at Electrical Technical Inspection. a. Power must not be sent to the Motor(s) of the vehicle during the test b. The test must prove the function of the complete BSPD, including the current sensor The suggested test would introduce a current by a separate wire from an external power supply simulating the Tractive System current while pressing the brake pedal

T.3.2 Brake Over Travel Switch - BOTS
T.3.2.1 The vehicle must have a Brake Over Travel Switch (BOTS). Brake pedal travel exceeding the normal range will actuate the switch
T.3.2.2 The BOTS must be a mechanical single pole, single throw (commonly known as a two position) switch (push-pull or flip type).
T.3.2.3 Operation of the BOTS to the OFF position must Open the Shutdown Circuit IC.9.2.2 / EV.8.2.2
T.3.2.4 Repeated operation of the switch must not reset or restore power
T.3.2.5 The driver must not be able to reset the BOTS.
T.3.2.6 The switch must be implemented with analog components, and not using programmable logic controllers, engine control units, or similar functioning digital controllers.

cn1323

Reaction score
That's great! Thanks, I'll check these out. Also, I was sorta confused about where exactly the BOT switch should be attached, since behind the pedal may cause damage to it during a large push in case of failure right? Or is the number of times it happens not enough for the switch to be damaged? I'm sorry for what might be rudimentary questions, excuse the newbie-ness😓