Upgrades to the pedal-kart conversion, the "Spider"!

7th_Son

Reaction score
Yes a wooden spacer, red for visibility (lots of axle to catch an ankle on). That was the logic, but it's not necessary really. They've already been improved and hopefully this week they'll be gone altogether with new wheels.

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
However it ends up, kudos for putting it on the outside of the hub instead of spacing the wheel out from the inside. Too much strain on an axle to put the bending force "out on a limb", like that would have been if not done smartly.
Axles are obviously longer than needed for those wheels, but you're getting new ones. Will the axles be right for them? Not that having extra axle length really matters as long as the spacers are outside of the hubs.

7th_Son

Reaction score
The new ones look perfect, and they took some finding. They'll need smaller spacers, and I'm thinking of using rubber to help absorb some of the impact.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Don't use any cushioning at all, the hubs should be as one being with the axles. Cushioning via rubber washers or anything else will only allow the wheels to "lean" in a turn, and the wrong way at that. Hubs should be absolutely rigid on the axles.

7th_Son

Reaction score
Fair enough, I appreciate the advice, I am but a newbie! I already have rubber spacers at the rear, everything feels fine, and there's not enough movement to throw the chain or anything. Figured I'd do the same at the front, but perhaps I'll reconsider. With no suspension whatsoever, it can be rough on the old girl, just trying to protect her delicate bones.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Great work, much faster than I would expect. Also, I must say, a great video. Well filmed, well explained, and well edited, not to mention the still-cam shots.

7th_Son

Reaction score
Thanks Bacon! My earlier efforts were poor on-board footage, and people complained that it was "a 10-minute video of your feet"! I hadn't really noticed the feet myself. Concentrate on the road ahead, people!