One step backwards.

Scottydownunder

Reaction score
I bought a buggy with an engine that didn't work and it was mounted on the unsprung rear suspension. So I've chopped that off as well as the single rear spring. I have two long travell springs for the back and a Kawasaki 650cc twin ready to mount on the side pod. I also cut out the front suspension so I can make a double wishbone setup for it. I just bought a removeable steering boss and have drawn up some side panels on CAD to send off to the laser cutters along with some mounts for the new suspension. One step backwards to move forwards. 😀20210813_133830.jpg20210813_133817.jpg20210813_133802.jpg

Scottydownunder

Reaction score
"Scottydownunder" as in from the 'land down under'? If so what part? I'm just south of Sydney.
Yep. But I'm on the other side of the island from you. I'm about a hour North of Perth in the Darling Range. Have you got some decent off road places around Sydney or do you have to travel a bit to get into the loose stuff?

Lolo Pat

Reaction score
I live in suburbia on typical 1/4 acre block. Reason I bought gokart was the grandson (nearly 2 years old) luved sitting in the car's driver's seat playing with the steering wheel 🤦‍♂️. His parents aren't impressed though 😆. We can drive it around the backyard a bit but gee, I didn't know it was going to be SO loud 😮.

Scottydownunder

Reaction score
Haha! I guess you could make it a bit more quiet if the neighbours start giving you the evil eye, but for now just keep racking up those happy memories for you both. 👌 You know how it is. They grow up too fast. 😁

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy fellas,
Goodness, that's a really heavy duty looking kart :thumbsup:
...like farm tractor, heavy duty :roflol:

...but, looks kool :cheers2:

If the neighbors get too riled up, maybe think about "goin' electric" :stir:
Their super quiet
...& there's no pull starting
...no fiddling with chokes
...no hot exhaust
...no toxic fumes
...& ya don't have ta buy gas anymore :2guns:

Scottydownunder

Reaction score
Howdy fellas,
Goodness, that's a really heavy duty looking kart :thumbsup:
...like farm tractor, heavy duty :roflol:

...but, looks kool :cheers2:

If the neighbors get too riled up, maybe think about "goin' electric" :stir:
Their super quiet
...& there's no pull starting
...no fiddling with chokes
...no hot exhaust
...no toxic fumes
...& ya don't have ta buy gas anymore :2guns:

Scottydownunder

Reaction score
Cool power to weight ratio too if you get a decent electric motor. I wonder if electric would still be expensive or if prices have come down now they're a bit more main stream?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Cool power to weight ratio too if you get a decent electric motor. I wonder if electric would still be expensive or if prices have come down now they're a bit more main stream?

For a simple but, powerful go kart I'd stick with (& personally use a lot) the "workhorse" 48V 1,000W brushed motors :2guns:
...'cause their just sooooo simple (just connect the motor, a battery pack, an on/off switch & a throttle) & go go go :auto:

Like this :thumbsup: (~$125.00)
1000 W 48V electric scooter motor kit w BASE+control box key lock & Throttle | eBay

Here is a video of me & my daughter ridin' our electric karts :2guns:
This was a few years ago, oooh the memories :bannana:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Well, ya gotta turn the time machine back, a bit more than that :thumbsup:

I built my first electric propelled kart around 15 years ago (~2005) :sifone:
...way before, I started recording videos of this stuff :cheers2:

It was motivated by a V8 Chevy car starter
...& powered by (1) 12V car battery ;)

There are some pics, in this thread :bannana:
Chevy V8 Starter Kart | DIY Go Karts

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
One step backwards? I'd say one giant leap backwards, wearing anti-grav boots. You have some real man metal to work with there, and I'd go along with you just calling it "starting from scratch". Let that imagination loose!