OK CVT Gurus!

anickode

Reaction score
Alright so here's the deal. I'm working on the engine swap for the Gator and I've hit a bit of a snag with the Clutch. I have a few options in mind, but I just wanted to bounce my ideas off some other heads first.

My issue: The primary clutch was originally designed for an engine with a starter/generator. The engagement speed is 600 rpm and its fully shifted out at ~2000 rpm. My Big Briggs will happily idle at 1000, thanks to the big iron flywheel, but not much lower than that. Original engine rated to 3600 rpm, but the governor was in the transaxle to control the speed of the vehicle, not the rpm of the engine (just like a golf cart) Short of buying a clutch for a 6x4 (same clutch, but set up differently), my options are limited. The whole point of the salvaged gator project is to do it on the cheap, otherwise I'd have just bought a used, working gator.

Option 1: Buy Parts and service manuals for both my gator and the 6x4. Cross reference part numbers to find out exactly what the differences are and buy the parts to rebuild as a 6x4 clutch. JD parts are stupid expensive.

Option 2: Start grinding down the weights, taking care to keep them identical both in dimension and weight, working my way down until I get a ~1300 rpm engagement speed and cross my fingers that it can still fully shift out at 3600

Option 3: Pull the spring out and start pouring through charts to find a compatible, heavier spring.

Option 4: Buy an aftermarket primary clutch that is 1-3/16" top width, 26 degree and matching diameter (Haven't measured it yet). Comet 780 might be an option if the right diameter is available. But again, I'd like to not have to spend the money if I dont have to.

Option 5: I;m open to suggestions.

karl

Reaction score
Start grinding down the weights, taking care to keep them identical both in dimension and weight

I do this with the shoes of max torque SS clutch's, just pull out the scale, and grind away. Worked for me.

How bout a pic of this unit?

That is about all I can offer :p

anickode

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of the clutch, but a couple of it mounted on the engine... cover is off currently.

Everything has been disassembled, cleaned, and dry lubed. Sheave faces are smooth and flat with no signs of grooving. It just ramps up too fast because it was meant for a vehicle that doesn't idle.

I did find some diagrams that show the different weights for different models (though the Turf model isn't mentioned). The weights are stamped J13, and are nearly identical in appearance to the ones listed for the 4x2 non-turf (stamped J9 I think). The 6x4 ones appear lighter and have a different cam profile, and the diesel 6x4 are different again, presumably to compensate for the significantly higher torque. All models used the same clutch, just with different can weights.

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_122636.jpg
    IMG_20200404_122636.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200404_143408.jpg
    IMG_20200404_143408.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 4