Off-road mower, update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So i have a major problem with starting things and not finishing them due to money, or other dumb reasons. Anyways, i started this mower over a year ago, planning on doing a pulley swap, lowering it, and making it kickass. Got about 50% done and switched to building the shifter kart, because i need a u joint and didnt want to spend $40 on one. its been sitting in little pieces for 6 months or so, and yesterday i decided to finish it.

I'm going in a whole new direction, off road, good ground clearance, not too fast.

Im using an 18hp briggs opposed twin, peerless 820 transaxle, 23" turfsavers in the rear, and 18" turfsavers up front. The twin is a tight fit, not exactly sure where the battery and gas tank are going at the moment.

had to chop the hood to fit the engine in there.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I've been jones'in without any machines to ride, so i figure i'd put this together. and when i realized i had some big *** 23's for the rear, i figured the original 18" rear tires would be perfect up front. I have about 11" of clearance up front, and 8 in the back, should be decent off road. Might need to lock the diff.

Nothing worth taking pictures of today, just did a little more work on the steering, hood, and got the engine running. The starter was frozen, but she starts and runs amazing now. This is one of the easiest starting engines i have ever owned. Sounds good without any exhaust at all, a little bit loud though.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So, i made some heavy duty lock collars at school, set up a front tie rod from a few old sled tie rods (too short tho), started making the exhaust, and locked the front axle.

a little too much toe in for my liking, ill figure something out tho.

Made one for each side, i figure i'll wrap it around under the fender on each side, then make a spray paint can muffler for each pipe.

My front axle locking method

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
yea but i have no time to cut and weld all that dude. **** i'll pay him for materials and labor and a nice tip

im gonna be outa time soon myself, gotta get a job, do a clutch and weld up the frame on my truck, along with a bunch of other stuff this summer.

I also dont have the right tools to make decent flanges at my house.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
We'll see how the summer turns out for me.

As for my mower, tomorrow i plan on adapting a 4" pulley to fit on the transmission, so i will have a 1:1 ratio between the engine and tranny. 6th gear in the tranny is about 12 or 13:1, so with 23" tires i should get around 18-20mph which is plenty on a mower. Started making my spray paint can mufflers, got two cans gutted, need to get myself some 1" OD pipe .

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
So i mounted the batt, made my rear pully (forgot to get pic), extended that front tie rod, made my paint can mufflers, and began to take the tranny off so i can lock the diff. I sat everything back together to see how she looks, i like it so far.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Got a buncha free diamond plate, so i made a dash.
i also added an hour meter and ammeter. along with a toggle for the headlights.

And i made the front tranny brackets.

Thats about it, been workin on my truck all week, so im kinda tired. I'll probably do more tomorrow or sunday.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I wasnt actually welding like that. But i have before. Only
got 3 pieces of metal in my foot when i walked into the shop haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.