OBD II Scanner for Car Check Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Continuing my series of super cheap Amazon finds ---

I've been having a misfire with my daily driver, a 4Runner. It's been really annoying to have to drive a vehicle up to the auto parts store and get those codes read! I've been swapping the coils around and trying to narrow down what the problem is exactly.

A buddy told me that walmart had fairly cheap code readers, but I still couldn't justify the price when the auto store is "fairly close"...

Then holy smokes this came across my desk today! Ordered!

Veepeak OBD2 Scanner Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader for Check Engine Light

A scanner for $11 bucks? What!? These were 100s of dollars not that long ago. Autozone or wherever has them for $$$ ... I can't believe how cheap this is. There are several on Amazon in the $20 range, some more, but so, so much cheaper than the "Box" auto store.

Anyway, wish me luck on finding my misfire. Pretty sure I need a new coil.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
Yeah, once the CAN bus codes got standardized for simple diagnostics, it opened it up to any college kid with half a degree. sprinkle in a few internet forums and viola, affordable stuff!

For $20 you can get one with Bluetooth and an Android App. So you can see fun stuff while driving. I scrolled down and it looks like for that very same link, the uploaded product images are of the wireless version. Hmmm, wonder if they changed the module, but kept the same Amazon page. strange.

mckutzy

Reaction score
.... You mean.... Parked... And the vehicle running... Or you buddy riding with you can look while YOUR driving paying attention..... Right....

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
It's just another diagnostic, no different than an information center or a heads up display. when I put larger tires on my jeep, I used my cell phone for my speedometer. For my chevelle, I have a 7" tablet hanging from the windshield showing everything from O2 readings to fuel pressure to transmission pressure.

But yeah, for my passenger to use depending on who's asking. ha.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
You can sometimes find a faulty coil pack by misting it with water.

Is this misfire a once in a while or constant?
If it's constant you can sometimes pull the wire off the fuel injectors and feel/listen for a change.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
Next, you can get into stuff like the "Torque lite" application that is free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

Or, pay $5 and get the full blown version with a lot of neat options.

This is popular if you do crazy stuff like put a new LS chevy engine into a Jeep wrangler and want the gauges to work. Slap in a 10" tablet for $100 and roll out. Cool part is tablets have an interval compass and navigation built in. even a clinometer for hills. brilliant! Or, If you are into track days, a G force meter that tracks with GPS overlaid on a track map.

Status
Not open for further replies.