Nut on angle grinder stuck

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Yes, I have attempted to loosen with the wrench do-dad that is in the handle and it has been bent to uselessness now twice. It's pretty new, I'd hate to toss it because the wheel can't be changed. I've got stuff to do.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Is the "head" of the bent up tool still usable?

If so, maybe you can bolt (or weld) it to something like a 12" (or even 24") piece of ~3/16" x ~1" - ~2" wide steel
...or maybe flatten the handle & then, "sandwich" it in between (2) of the longer "steel handles" :thumbsup:

jmaack

Reaction score
U can try spooling it up then mashing lock about a second or 2 it stopped spinning down. I do this at work sometimes kn theor worn out grinders. It usually works.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Is the "head" of the bent up tool still usable?

If so, maybe you can bolt (or weld) it to something like a 12" (or even 24") piece of ~3/16" x ~1" - ~2" wide steel
...or maybe flatten the handle & then, "sandwich" it in between (2) of the longer "steel handles" :thumbsup:
Last night I tried the "sandwich the wheel between 2 pieces of wood" and tried the tool (bent it), and then tried a punch and hammer making rotational force via one of the holes. No dice. It is supernaturally tight.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
It's a fair question. But yes I actually check every single time I look at it because I am constantly doubting myself. It is a "lefty loosey" device.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Last night I tried the "sandwich the wheel between 2 pieces of wood" and tried the tool (bent it), and then tried a punch and hammer making rotational force via one of the holes. No dice. It is supernaturally tight.
Um...not the wheel
...ya lock the wheel with the "Shaft Lock button" :thumbsup:

I was thinkin' to straighten out the bent up tool
...& then, "sandwich" the handle of the tool, in between (2) pieces of ~1" x 12" steel ("AKA new & improved handles)

* Put grinder on work bench (don't try hold it "up in the air") use the bench top
...& it will help hold the tool, as you apply pressure/leverage

Then, push in the "Shaft Lock Button" to lock the shaft (& wheel)
...& use the tool to turn the retaining nut counterclockwise

** Try & position the wrench so that you're pushing downwards, on the wrench, toward the bench top ;)

Also, the same style of (2) pin wrench's, for other grinders, will work too
...even if the pins are spaced apart differently

Just insert (1) of the pins, into the retaining nut
...& the other pin up against, the outside edge of the nut

*** Sometimes even applies additional leverage :cool:

Hope ya get 'er off :popcorn:

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
It's actually kind of interesting. I took the blow torch to it, got it not-red-hot, but as hot as I dare without destroying something. Tried turning with a pipe extending the wrench... nope. While still hot, I applied 3-in-1 oil to the thread/nut and that heat just sucked that oil right in there. Didn't make a dang bit of difference. In fact I will mail it to anyone at your cost if you want a free tool that needs work.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
No the "Shaft Lock Button", while adequate under normal circumstances, is not up to the force I am applying to this thing. If I keep fooling with it I am likely to destroy it, which might actually be very satisfying.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Well, as a last resort :stir:

I'd try to weld a big hex nut, right onto that retaining nut :thumbsup:
...& then, maybe you can use an impact gun (or other tools) ;)
...but, you'll have to get them red hot nut(s) off & away from the tool pretty quickly :auto:

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
...I've got stuff to do.

Go to Hazard Fraught and buy, not their cheapest, but their 'mid grade' Chicongo 'Lectric angle grinder and get back to work. Funny, I don't see it listed on their site anymore but it might linger on in their stores. They got all kinds of stuff now, anyway.

Or hell, even their cheapest 'brand' which used to be called Drill Master (black body and red knobs) which could be had for less than $10.00. Now they are called Warrior I think. I wore one of those out with a lot of long-duty-cycle abuse. I think the bearings gave out.

"Owning more than one angle grinder, are you nuts?" Even I am a new adherent to the logic that you ought to have several in the shop, each with a different attachment already on it... so's you're not wasting yer time taking the dadburned grinder wheel off to install a flap disc sander...🤠

Master Hack

Reaction score
I am a new adherent to the logic that you ought to have several in the shop, each with a different attachment already on it... so's you're not wasting yer time taking the dadburned grinder wheel off to install a flap disc sander...
Done exactly that for years. Problem is l usually pick one up when l see a good deal. Spares, ya know....
6 at last count.

Rat

Reaction score
Never have I had or heard this happening before. I've got almost the whole Ryobi One+ series... I use the cordless for cut offs, and the trusty Dewalt corded for grinding.

Sacrifice the disc, if you can get it to break away enough at the arbor it should release the jamming tension on the thread...of course it probably won't because it never should have been able to get that tight in the first place.

Only other thing I can think of is to take another angle grinder to it and try to cut the lock nut off without eating into the arbor shaft... even if you only split it on one side you free up tension on the threads