Notching Tube ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2me

Reaction score
Thank You for the responses!

I will be going on with the free pipe/tube what ever you want to call it.

Does anyone have a cheap solution to notching the pipe without buying a notcher? I guess I could use my angle grinder but that will get old very quick.

Hmm maybe a round disk on the bench grinder would work if there is such a thing.

new2me

Reaction score
IDk whats the diameter of your disk, but it usuallys is to big to be effective

I was picturing something like this -

With the bench grinder in front of me. Hold the pipe to it till the curve is made. If there was a disk wide enough and rounded it would make life easy. (till the disk wore down) :)

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
here's some info on pipe vs tube: http://www.diygokarts.com/articles/pipe-vs-tube.html

and here's some about welding it up. Angle grinder would work, the bench grinder you might end up re-dressing the wheel a lot to keep up the right shape. http://www.diygokarts.com/articles/materials.html

I bought a tubing notcher recently at harbor freight (40). then you have to buy a bi-metal hole saw for it, which are 10 each, and you'll need a drill with a 1/2" chuck.

seems to work, i cut a couple of tubes.

new2me

Reaction score
Thank you that notcher is exactly what I need. I was under the impresion they were a lot more $. All I have to do now is make the 30min trip to Harbor Freight. I am going to avoid bending anything if posible. If I do need something bent I will try to talk an empty muffler shop into doing it for me for $10-20.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
What is notching? Is it lcutting a semi cricle into an end of pipe to mate with the other pipe?

P.S. Im not good in paint thats why its so crapy.

Attachments

• tube thingy.jpg
    tube thingy.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 27

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Yes sir. It's so you can get a good weld on there with no gaps. If you don't notch it then you have to weld a large gap, which is something I ended up doing on part of my kart. I still have other parts to weld to it though so I'm really thinking of getting something to make the notches.

Status
Not open for further replies.