Not Craigslist, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anickode

Reaction score
I don't know what the power handling would be on one of those... They are typically found in snapper style riding mowers. You know the little mini ones where you sit on top of the engine. And some heavier duty snowblowers and stuff like that.

The unfortunate downside to these is they're not shift on the fly, and everything inside has bushings, not bearings, so they don't take well to over-revving. I have seen them run mounted sideways for a horizontal shaft longitudinal input.

There are some guides online for race-prepping these for mower racing however.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
sure especially since you cannot decouple it from the engine while riding
(unless you're amongst the few that have the only manual clutch that's available currently)

But still.. 120 bucks is tempting in case you want to give it a shot;
on the other hand.. just to blow it after a few minutes @5k rpms ... a used one off ebay might be cheaper even ;)
*shrugs*

'sid

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I think one of the first things people do when race prepping peerless transmissions is remove the reverse chain. From what I've read, the reverse chain is likely to fail inside the case. I'm guessing that is not good.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Yeah race prep it...seal it well, change the grease to like an 80w90 gear oil. They also say to overdrive the gear box, they like to run faster and don't take torque very well. So have like a 6" on the engine and a 4" on the gearbox type deal.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Thats one of the preferred gearboxes used in racing lawnmowers. There is a method for race prepping them. Im not sure if they replace the bushings with bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.