No Weld Frame

eloso6297

Reaction score
I'm sure there is plenty of discussion on this to found, but my mediocre search skills are not producing it. Wanting to build kart with my son but don't have a welder, or know how to weld. I ran across this cat on youtube, and he makes a steel framed cart with bolts and reinforcing plates instead of welding it. Seems pretty sturdy in the video, but I am guessing there is a catch. Any thoughts or links to related threads would be appreciated.

Any tips on searching would be appreciated as well. I tried every version of no weld frame I could think of and didn't find anything related.

Thanks

*Edit*

It finally dawned on me to search Colin Furze. Haha, plenty of stuff came up. Not a lot of love for the no weld concept I see. I would have deleted the whole post, but cant seem to figure out how. Flame away.

Last edited:

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
So, I have no issues with a no weld frame BUT I would definitely sleeve all bolt hole....ie 3/8 bolts have a .406 hole on 1 wall of tube and other side will have say .500 or so ,that let's you use a 1/16 wall pc of tubing as a spacer, so when you tighten bolts the tube won't crush and bolts won't come loose.

Does that make sense?

I can ms paint a picture if that would help

Millwright

Reaction score
If you are drilling hoes in thin wall tubing, or any thin steel, a step drill is a really good item to have. It doesn't grab and twist Luke a normal twist bit.

Attachments

• 20210807_131017.jpg
    20210807_131017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

eloso6297

Reaction score
So, I have no issues with a no weld frame BUT I would definitely sleeve all bolt hole....ie 3/8 bolts have a .406 hole on 1 wall of tube and other side will have say .500 or so ,that let's you use a 1/16 wall pc of tubing as a spacer, so when you tighten bolts the tube won't crush and bolts won't come loose.

Does that make sense?

I can ms paint a picture if that would help

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the reply. Its becoming pretty clear that to try and do a no weld correctly the cost in hardware makes it really cost prohibitive. I plan to get a welder next spring and learn, but in the meantime I think I'll get my frame designed and cut, then bribe one of my pals to weld it with brisket and beer.