Ninja 500 Yerfdog 3203 (with video of offroad ripping)

Reaction score
Here is my project *There are multiple driving videos*
**Update** I added some new shocks and an extra brake rotor and caliper. I am done for now...
1635267055498.png
89844F17-461F-4A05-AEB9-D0217CA320EF.jpeg
IMG_7332.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7395.JPG
    IMG_7395.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7394.JPG
    IMG_7394.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6600.jpg
    IMG_6600.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

jamyers

Reaction score
Nice! Is that a stock front end, with an additional brace plate?

Im interested in the engine install, especially the shifter linkage and how you got power from the engine/trans to the axle.

I've got this sweet-running Honda 250 Rebel engine, you see...

Reaction score
Nice! Is that a stock front end, with an additional brace plate?

Im interested in the engine install, especially the shifter linkage and how you got power from the engine/trans to the axle.

I've got this sweet-running Honda 250 Rebel engine, you see...
yep it is a spider box front end with some BDX bracing plates welded on. My shift linkage is a little crazy because I wanted it to be pull back to shift up like a rally car. I got some steel spacers and some flat bar and made 2 linkage arms and attached them with some cheap heim joints. The axle was a difficult one. If you have a 250 you are probably fine, but I kept bending axles from the extra weight. So I had a solid axle custom made at a machine shop was around $150 for 1-1/4 wide 54" long 1045 carbon steel with threads on each end and a keyway all the way down. Keeping tension on the chain was the hardest part. I am using 2 chain tensioners.
let me know if you want pics of anything. good luck on your build!

Gasteffens

Reaction score
Woah, you can only see the distant remains of the actual 3203 frame in there! Do you have any videos of it running/driving? It reminds me of the Honda Odyssee buggies from years ago.

Reaction score
Nice to see a dirt road video. Be careful ripping out there ! Looks like a blast.
The camera does not pick up the large rocks that are scattered in the road. My buddies truck with 35s can only do 5-10mph on that road for reference. Sure was a blast, ill be out sometime again within the month whenever there is another nice day!

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Where did you get your sprockets ? I have been looking for a really low ratio set for my CBR1000F and have not found anything low enough to keep the engine from lugging in first gear.

Reaction score
I ordered the engine sprocket from rocky mountain( JT sprocket $12) and axle sprocket from pitstop usa went down 2 (front) and up 8 (rear)$45. Also the engine is geared lower much lower than yours. This engine was actually out of a vulcan so it is a ninja motor with a low end torque cam and it takes off with 25s in 2nd without lugging. My advice if you still can't find anything low enough would be to look into if any other bikes sprockets are interchangable. I also used this gearing calculator to determine what I wanted to buy https://www.gearingcommander.com/
Hope this helps,
Good luck sounds like a sick build

Last edited:

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I ordered the engine sprocket from rocky mountain( JT sprocket $12) and axle sprocket from pitstop usa went down 2 (front) and up 8 (rear)$45. Also the engine is geared lower much lower than yours. This engine was actually out of a vulcan so it is a ninja motor with a low end torque cam and it takes off with 25s in 2nd without lugging. My advice if you still can't find anything low enough would be to look into if any other bikes sprockets are interchangable. I also used this gearing calculator to determine what I wanted to buy https://www.gearingcommander.com/
Hope this helps,
Good luck sounds like a sick build
Thanks for the link to gearingcommander and info on JT sprocket.