New rear sprocket for Gokart/buggy with 420cc Engine

BMPoland1993

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Looking for someone to tell me whether a 420 type sprocket with 64 teeth will be ok on my 420cc engine gokart/buggy. My usual rear sprocket had 54 teeth.

Should I expect a radical decline in top speed? I use my gokart round my garden (a big garden) and I practically never reach top speed.

I use a series 40 torque converter with a 10 tooth sprocket.

Thanks,

B.

P.S. The gokart is quite heavy.

BMPoland1993

Reaction score
The rear tires are pretty large. Photo:
No description available.

BMPoland1993

Reaction score
I went to the mechanic and he told me that the 64 tooth rear sprocket might be a bit too much?.. "Great increase in power but poor top speed, overall I think that this sprocket is too large, would recommend 60-62 teeth max".

What do you think?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you are not hitting top speed with a 64. Going to a 56-60 will make it feel doggie. Small space tall gear. Big space small gear.
Those look like 20” rear tires, should rip around a small yard great with fantastic belt life. But like I said you could easily go 56-60 for more top end.

Chiller

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Looking for someone to tell me whether a 420 type sprocket with 64 teeth will be ok on my 420cc engine gokart/buggy. My usual rear sprocket had 54 teeth.

Should I expect a radical decline in top speed? I use my gokart round my garden (a big garden) and I practically never reach top speed.

I use a series 40 torque converter with a 10 tooth sprocket.

Thanks,

B.

P.S. The gokart is quite heavy.
You go faster out the hole less top end