New Experience 125cc Go Kart

Marixo

Reaction score
I am totally new to the experience of working on a go kart and find that I need a source to ask "stupid" questions because this is out of my realm and even though I can look at You Tube and learn alot, there are questions I have so I hope this will give me the opportunity to ask some of you that "enjoy" the "quiet" moments when you get to fulfill that mental experience with discovering how to make something work. That pretty much explains me.....I use this alone time to think, but this has gotten so perplexing I am losing that "joy". I hope some of you can help me with some basic questions I have that will help me down the road to finding success in making this thing run. It has electrical configuration problems that I believe are in the grounding that I can not identity.

Marixo

Reaction score
I replaced a Chinese GoKart 110 cc engine with a 125 cc that was supposed to be compatible and appears to be the same. Not knowing what I was doing but having looked at many You Tube videos and particularly Harvey Spooner, I was very careful when I unplugged the electrical wiring and thought It would be just a matter of inserting the new engine and then plugging back in. So far, so good until I came to the part where the disconnects were both female and neither was a male. So one or both had to be changed. So I did this. Let's begin with the CDI and the wires from the engine, I have attached a photo. You will note that colors of wires were the same as from the CDI to the engine (Black/Red to Black/Red; Blue/White to Blue White) but there are two yellows from the engine and a green wire.....and from CDI is one yellow and one white and a black wire where the ground wire would normally be in the middle of the 5 plug from the CDI and is usually green. Now it appears that it does not matter which yellow wire from the engine is attached to either the yellow or white white from the CDI that it is really just to charge the battery and for lights. But do I attach the green wire from the engine to the black wire (ground) from the CDI or do they both attach to the frame/engine to ground? Next question, as the black/red wire powers the CDI, should I have a voltage meter reading from the black/red wire when the engine is turned to the accessories? The reason I ask is I am not getting a spark and it is not powering up. I have checked the voltage and I am not getting power to the yellow/red wire at the starter either and there is no power to the yellow/red wire on the ignition switch (my ignition switch has 3 wires - red/white (shows 12v) and solid red (shows 12v) but the red/yellow again has no voltage. And the Red/Black to the CDI shows a negative voltage very low. I have 12 v from the battery to the starter but it does not have power to the yellow/red that feeds to the spark plug nor to the second plug. Harvey Spooner suggests that the ground wire at the CDI box be disconnected? Your ideas please.

Attachments

• Wires from engine to CDI.jpg
    Wires from engine to CDI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0