New Electric Motor Not Working

rudyeb

Reaction score
I recently bought a 48 Volt, 1800 Watt, DC, electric motor, controller and charger. I've been getting the kart ready to go electric and decided to test the motor today. I charged the 48V Li-Ion 48 V battery, hooked up all wires from the battery and motor to the controller and gave it a try. Nothing. No hum, no movement, nothing. The controller has a black wire and red wire to connect to the battery plus a yellow wire, a green wire and a blue wire that connect to the motor and a 5 wire push plug that connects to the controller as well.
There are a variety of other wires coming from the controller that are labeled brake, reverse, throttle, brakes (2), 3 speeds, brake lamp, electric lock, indicator light and charging port.
I am trying to learn how to direct wire the motor to test it (if possible) and avoid going through the controller. Does anyone know how I would do this or can someone suggest how I might try to deduce why the motor isn't working?

Thank you

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Did you hook up a throttle? It sounds like a brushless motor. You aren't going to direct wire it to a battery like you might with a brushed motor.

rudyeb

Reaction score
I did hook up a throttle and still nothing. I have 2 throttles and neither worked, same result.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Hall or potentiometer? Did it come with a throttle? Do you have a wiring diagram? Pictures of the components and wiring?

rudyeb

Reaction score
I tried 2 throttles, one is a pedal type and the other is a Hall effect that pulls a wire/throttle, still the motor doesn’t run. I can post pictures of all wiring and will post more tomorrow

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I don't see where you mention an "on/off" switch
Do you have one connected to the "power lock" plug?

Also, do the colors of the (3) wires on the throttle, match/align with the colors of the (3) wires on the throttle plug?

Here is a video I made up a while back describing the connections for a small electrical system on a bike or kart
(it's for a 24V brushed system but, most of the same connections/concepts still apply ;) .

rudyeb

Reaction score
There is a plug labeled "Electric Lock" it has 1 Red wire and 1 Orange wire. The is nothing connected to this plug, so it sits "Open" I guess. Should I jump the red and orange to connect them together? Would these be used as a keyed, perhaps, on/off switch? The three wires to the throttle do seem to match but will double check on that tomorrow. Many thanks again for your guidance.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Would these be used as a keyed, perhaps, on/off switch?
Yeah, like FA said. I wouldn't just jump them. You want to be able to turn off the controller still to prevent unnecessary drain when not in use and to kill it if there is some sort of problem.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I was thinkin', on most of these small brushless controllers, you will also, need an "on/on" switch connected to the forward/reverse switch.
...or the controller doesn't know which way you want it to turn the motor.

If you don't have an "on/on" switch laying around (who does?) a "jumper wire" will work (temporarily)
...& then, when you install the proper switch, you will also have reverse available, at the "flick of a switch" ;)

rudyeb

Reaction score
I was thinkin', on most of these small brushless controllers, you will also, need an "on/on" switch connected to the forward/reverse switch.
...or the controller doesn't know which way you want it to turn the motor.

If you don't have an "on/on" switch laying around (who does?) a "jumper wire" will work (temporarily)
...& then, when you install the proper switch, you will also have reverse available, at the "flick of a switch" ;)
I did as you instructed and the motor now runs like a champ. I would like to change the motor direction so that what is now forward will be reverse and visa versa. I am guessing this would be done by switching around the yellow, blue and/or green wires where they connect to the controller. Would you know how I would do so?
Many thanks again

Functional Artist

Reaction score
IIRC
Connect the thick the blue motor wire to the thick green controller wire
...then, connect the thick green motor wire to thick blue controller wire
Leave thick yellow motor wire contact to thick yellow controller wire

Then, on the 5-wire plug (swap the thin blue & the thin yellow wires) that means connect the thin blue wire to the thin yellow wire
...& thin thin yellow wire to the thin blue wire