New Build - Taking Advice

Panzu

Reaction score
Here we go, I've officially started my go-kart journey. I'm very new to this and would like any extra advice you guys have.

My kart is going to be ridden along the street and on grassy areas. I'm thinking 12" or 13" tires with 6" rims should be good for me. Are normal street tires fine for my use as I linked below?

I think I'm going to go for a 6:1 gear ratio, I think this is a solid middle ground and won't be too aggressive to start out.

Can someone look at what I'm planning to buy and let me know what clutch they recommend? For a 6:1 ratio it needs to be a 12T clutch because the sprocket that comes with the live axle kit is 72T.

Here are the parts I'm planning to buy let me know what you guys think:
Wheels
Tires (Let me know if these are good for my use)
Engine (Is it worth spending the extra $35 to get the pro setup?)
Live Axle Kit

I already have a frame, seat, steering setup, etc... I think those are just the main things I need to really upgrade my kart. What do you guys think about all of this? Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Seems like you have a solid plan. If you are not handy with engines (knowledge, tools) then go with the tillotson. I myself am not partial to the hemi headed engines unless running a blower and nitromethane.
I much rather prefer a wedge head for making power. But it seems like you have a great workable plan. The only thing I don’t know about is the tires, as I have no experience with them.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Wish you would have included a picture of your kart. If you are not an experienced engine builder then you can't go wrong with the Tillotson.
Quality engine. All else looks good for building a small wheeled kart.
do you have incidentals, like throttle cables, brake linkage, kill switch ect.

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
My kart is going to be ridden along the street and on grassy areas.
Tires (Let me know if these are good for my use)
The tires you’re looking at seem to be made for mini bikes. A.k.a. Tiny contact patch. Get yourself a nice set of slicks, with tread if you have the extra cash. That doesn’t mean you have to ball out and pay $500 for 4 Dunlop racing slicks but a set of 12x9 unill’s will do you good. Plus, you’ll be able to slide around when you’re on grass ;)

Engine (Is it worth spending the extra $35 to get the pro setup?)
especially if this is your first kart I would definitely go with a pred 212 and mod it as you go

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Here's your best bet for a starter setup that doesn't eat your budget. The Predator 212cc can be run as is without the upgrades, you can upgrade it later. The torque converter however, is definitely recommended instead of just a clutch, doesn't cost much more, has much more low-end power, a little more speed, just bolts on with 4 bolts.
6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine, EPA (harborfreight.com)
Engine Top Plate Master Kit w/custom Jets , Predator 212 HEM & Chinese Clone 196 | eBay
Amazon.com: OMB Warehouse Go Kart Weiner Pipe AKRA Legal w/Standard Muffler Predator 212cc : Automotive
Go Kart Torque Converter Clutch Kit 1" 12T #35 6.5HP 212CC 30 series Coment | eBay

AmishMike

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the thread but you listed the top plate kit as recommended. I see that the kit you actually mention comes with accessories. Can you please enlighten me as to why everybody does to aftermarket top plates? Is it just for ease of installing mods?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
you listed the top plate kit as recommended.
Actually, I only meant to recommend the Predator 212 and a torque converter. (Would also recommend a genuine Comet belt instead of the factory Chinese one that comes with TC.) The other stuff is for hotrodding your 212. See what Jerry says about that particular top plate kit?
"This is EVERYTHING you need to convert your stock oem engine into a Hot Rod Engine ".
It's the kit I use for a couple of very good reasons..........The intake adapter (for the hi-volume air filter) is of the engineered venturi type, as opposed to that flat one you get in cheap stuff. Way more airflow, generated by grabbing and accelerating more air into the throat. And it has the hi-flow filter for it. It has a fuel pump and fuel filter, and the pulse pump barb fitting for your valve cover, and some tubing for it. It has the bigger jets, BOTH of them, main and low jets, more important to have the right low jet than you think. It has the best kind of throttle linkage, the straight-pull clevis type.
Why do folks use the aftermarket stuff, you asked. Don't know, but I trust Jerry Dover at diyperformance for everything about this stuff, and the end it costs less for more with him than any cheap (cost and quality) aftermarket stuff.

panchothedog

Reaction score
The top plate as far as my understanding goes is to make it easier to go to a direct pull after market throttle linkage, as well as providing a place to mount a fuel pump. It also supposedly makes your engine look cool and for sure eliminates the stock RUBE GOLDBERG conglomeration of throttle linkage.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The top plate is only useful if you have an external gas tank, correct?
It's always good if it works for your particular build, gravity has nothing to do with the top plate kit w/fuel pump. Here's a pic of my 212 hotrodded to 15+hp. with the fuel tank mounted high enough for gravity feed. Supposedly doesn't matter, I was just concerned that I might have to pull the rope a few times to reprime the fuel lines on a startup after sitting awhile. May not matter.

Attachments

• 100_0166.JPG
    100_0166.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3