New at building a Go-Kart

NoobBuilder

Reaction score
Hi, so a few months back I decided that I wanted to build a Go-Kart, I'am at the point where I'm about to buy all the parts to build the go kart, and even tho I've tried to find answers to my questions I still cant find any. I'm going to be buyinng a Motorfansclub Live rear axle and some of the things that come with the axle confuse me because I either don't know what they're for or dont know how it works. So here it goes

1. How does this hydraulic brake system works? I know the biggest piece is for the brake disc, but that thing that is at the end of the brake cable. Does that go attached to the brake pedal or do I need to buy a steel cable and attache that to the pedal and the brake line?
1614056910502.png

2. Are those two things at each end of the axle the bearings or do I have to buy those? (Amazon wont let me post a question) And what are those two extra discs for?

1614057431079.png

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The things at the ends of the axle are the hubs that the wheels bolt to. The extra gold shiny discs are the hubs that hold the sprocket and disc brake rotor.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The caliper that floats on the brake disc is operated (squeezes the shoes together) by the master cylinder at the other end. The gold clip on the m.c. shaft bolts to whatever you rig up to push it into the cylinder, a stroke of less than an inch.
Look at your supplier's website where they show one with a rotor and you'll see a ziptie holding that clip to the m.c. frame, cocking the shaft over at a 45 degree angle. That's how sloppy the shaft is, it doesn't slide straight and smoothly in and out like a stick in a tube. You have to rig up your connection to it to be what's very rigid and slides back and forth very straight, pushing in straight and true on the shaft into the very rigidly mounted m.c. frame. Don't underestimate the multiplied force pushing on the m.c., it will bend things you don't expect. Build everything strong and rigidly mounted.
Clearly all of that means it's better suited to a push inward being performed by a steel rod or bar linkage to the brake pedal, wherever it's located, than trying to make a cable somehow perform the straight push. Look around at kart pictures on this forum to see how others have mounted m.c.'s, and the various ways they've connected them to brake pedals, mostly by steel rods.
The "banjo" bolts that hold the hose to the m.c. and the caliper can be loosened a crack to rotate the fittings around to the easiest spot for you to work with, then retightened. They can even be removed, and the fittings flipped over if that's better for you. Just know you would then likely have to bleed air out of the system. Your refill opening for lost brake fluid is by the the banjo bolt on the m.c., the black cap held on with 2 phillips head screws.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Your bearings question: Those 2 thick, heavy, dark green, cast iron things with 2 mounting holes each are your "pillow block bearings".
You drill holes in the kart frame to mount them, and slide the axle in through them, and secure the axle tight with a setscrew on the collars of each.
It's highly recommended, personally I'd say required, to clamp down some locking collars beside various axle parts like bearings and sprockets and discs. Personally I only use DOUBLE-SPLIT collars, and I put them on BOTH sides of things wherever possible. Will attach some pics. Click on pic, move cursor over spot you want to magnify on the blowup, click to magnify.

Attachments

• 100_0169.JPG
    100_0169.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

NoobBuilder

Reaction score
Your bearings question: Those 2 thick, heavy, dark green, cast iron things with 2 mounting holes each are your "pillow block bearings".
You drill holes in the kart frame to mount them, and slide the axle in through them, and secure the axle tight with a setscrew on the collars of each.
It's highly recommended, personally I'd say required, to clamp down some locking collars beside various axle parts like bearings and sprockets and discs. Personally I only use DOUBLE-SPLIT collars, and I put them on BOTH sides of things wherever possible. Will attach some pics. Click on pic, move cursor over spot you want to magnify on the blowup, click to magnify.
Thank you so much for the answers you provided me man, I'll make sure everything is tight and rigid enough