Need info/help with used kart work

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
I just picked this kart up knowing it needed work($175). Its a road boss cobra I think.. with a new predator engine that is uninstalled. Guy said it used to have a Briggs on it. He bought the predator but he didn’t have time. I’m a total newb when it comes to working on these. A few things I noted when checking it out after I got home was the clutch moves in and out about a 1/4 inch. And the back tires have a little wobble. Not bad but it is noticeable. A little research says I can shim the clutch? And as far as the back tires, Is it too bad to need new axel. It’s not terrible but noticeable. Just want to make sure it works safely for my kids. I still need to get some new tires and possibly replace the brake as well. I tried to include videos but it seems I cannot or I haven’t figured it out yet? Thanks!!

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
When you say the wheels wobble, do you mean up and down or side to side? I'd make sure the tires are aired up properly and the nuts are tight on the ends and test again. Prop it up on blocks and check that way. You should be able to see if it's a bent axle or a loose axle clamp. You don't really want to be trying to drive on a bent axle. If it's bent bad enough, it could be constantly changing the tension on the chain. This could cause the chain to break or even bent the shaft going into the engine from the chain "jerking" on the clutch. I'd check the axle before shimming the clutch because if you get the clutch tight and it turns out to be bent, there's now no more play and could cause serious engine damage. Clutches are cheap compared to engines. Keep us updated...oh and welcome!

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
When you say the wheels wobble, do you mean up and down or side to side? I'd make sure the tires are aired up properly and the nuts are tight on the ends and test again. Prop it up on blocks and check that way. You should be able to see if it's a bent axle or a loose axle clamp. You don't really want to be trying to drive on a bent axle. If it's bent bad enough, it could be constantly changing the tension on the chain. This could cause the chain to break or even bent the shaft going into the engine from the chain "jerking" on the clutch. I'd check the axle before shimming the clutch because if you get the clutch tight and it turns out to be bent, there's now no more play and could cause serious engine damage. Clutches are cheap compared to engines. Keep us updated...oh and welcome!
Thank you. It is a bent axel. It’s not terrible but Im probably just going to buy a new one anyways. Jason

tankrb8

Reaction score
New to karts.....do I just need a spacer to align the pulleys? Anything helps

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_180059.jpg
    IMG_20240215_180059.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Looks like you are trying to use the wrong primary series driver. You have a 20 series secondary with a 30 series on the engine. That will not work!!! Get a 20 series driver on that engine!!! Use only Genuine Max-Torque or Comet belts also!! Cheaper belts do not last or hold up. JimD on here owns Max-Torque.

tankrb8

Reaction score
Looks like you are trying to use the wrong primary series driver. You have a 20 series secondary with a 30 series on the engine. That will not work!!! Get a 20 series driver on that engine!!! Use only Genuine Max-Torque or Comet belts also!! Cheaper belts do not last or hold up. JimD on here owns Ma

Rat

Reaction score
Looks like you are trying to use the wrong primary series driver. You have a 20 series secondary with a 30 series on the engine. That will not work!!! Get a 20 series driver on that engine!!! Use only Genuine Max-Torque or Comet belts also!! Cheaper belts do not last or hold up. JimD on here owns Max-Torque.
OMFG I totally missed that 🤣

Rat

Reaction score
So as long as I do a 20 or 30 on both ends, I'll be fine?
Correct the must match regardless if they are 20 series, 30 series or 40 series.

30 is the only one to use an asymetric belt
I see what looks like a brand new 30 series driver so you may as well put a 30 series driven on it, if it will fit the jackhaft that is

tankrb8

Reaction score
I was good with two to choose from, then you had to throw in a third. Lol thanks for all your help

tankrb8

Reaction score
Are the belts easy to come across? Should I consider going with the 30 instead?

Rat

Reaction score
Are the belts easy to come across? Should I consider going with the 30 instead?
The 30 series is most common, 40 series is second most common. A 20 series isn't exactly rare ir hard to find, but you have to be looking very specifically for them

tankrb8

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help, think I'll start with the 20 and if need be I'll just buy a whole new 30 setup.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
A 20 or a 40 series is much more efficient than a 30 series due to the symmetrical shape of the belt and clutches. Just use a Genuine Comet or Max-Torque belt!!

Rat

Reaction score
A 20 or a 40 series is much more efficient than a 30 series due to the symmetrical shape of the belt and clutches. Just use a Genuine Comet or Max-Torque belt!!
See now you're making me want to swap my two 30's for 40's.

I read there was some sort of advantage to the 30 series on account of its "overdrive range". Truth be told the 30 series is the most available for cheap as well

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
See now you're making me want to swap my two 30's for 40's.

I read there was some sort of advantage to the 30 series on account of its "overdrive range". Truth be told the 30 series is the most available for cheap as well
I think you’re thinking of the 40 series. The only advantage to the 30 series is the small packaging.