Need Advice On EngineChoice

Kshilman23

Reaction score
I’m new to go karting and new to the forum. I picked up a Dongfang DF150GKB on the cheap to restore with my kids. The kart is frame only and am wondering what would be a good choice for a new engine. I have a welder and some fabrication skills and have been looking at a Predator motor swap. The kart is being built for the kids and doesn’t need to go crazy fast just yet as they are 6 and 8. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16EF9CF9-F617-4F5D-A910-9861FF3C9C5F.jpeg
    16EF9CF9-F617-4F5D-A910-9861FF3C9C5F.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Did those come with a GY6? You could buy another one and save time on fabrication. I think the stock 150cc motor is stronger than a stock Predator 212cc and it would be plenty of power.

Kshilman23

Reaction score
Did those come with a GY6? You could buy another one and save time on fabrication. I think the stock 150cc motor is stronger than a stock Predator 212cc and it would be plenty of power.
From what I’ve researched yes it had a GY6 and have considered that. I am also considering the Predator 301cc? I don’t mind the fab work as it’s a hobby.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
I think I'd still go GY6. They rev higher stock and have similar HP. Is there a reason you want to switch to a Predator?

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
There are lots of listings for GY6 engines on eBay and Amazon along with a smattering of other dealers. Put GY6 into google and click shopping and you'll see quite a few.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Keeping it stock and therefore reliable would be best for the younger kids. If it always breaks down you will have a hard time keeping them interested at that age.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Ignition key in some sort of dashboard, battery box hanging in the back, kids 6 and 8.
Should it be assumed you want an engine with electric start?

Kshilman23

Reaction score
Ignition key in some sort of dashboard, battery box hanging in the back, kids 6 and 8.
Should it be assumed you want an engine with electric start?
Yes there is a little plastic dash with key, start button, and lights. Battery box is behind the driver seat. Electric start would be nice but not a necessity.

Kshilman23

Reaction score
Like I mentioned I’m not opposed to a GY6 I’m just not sure where to start with one. The guy I got the kart from removed the engine and cut off the wiring harness and I haven’t found much information on installing a GY6 from scratch.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Looked at a GY6 that's 150cc on ebay, and what a learn that was. Never seen that kind of engine before, with that arm hanging off which is apparently a CVT (called here a TC). Anyway, electric start, 9.1:1 compression, about $340 with free shipping, if stock is what you need then there you go.
And then there's Harbor Freight, with a 420cc electric start, 13hp. right out of the box without using a CVT for $400, free pick up.
Two different worlds there, but your factory wiring's been cut off, only have that too small sprocket on the axle, not much to work with going back to a GY6. Predator has starter box on the motor, you can fab a motor mount and replace the sprocket. Choices, choices...........

Kshilman23

Reaction score
Looked at a GY6 that's 150cc on ebay, and what a learn that was. Never seen that kind of engine before, with that arm hanging off which is apparently a CVT (called here a TC). Anyway, electric start, 9.1:1 compression, about $340 with free shipping, if stock is what you need then there you go.
And then there's Harbor Freight, with a 420cc electric start, 13hp. right out of the box without using a CVT for $400, free pick up.
Two different worlds there, but your factory wiring's been cut off, only have that too small sprocket on the axle, not much to work with going back to a GY6. Predator has starter box on the motor, you can fab a motor mount and replace the sprocket. Choices, choices...........
I’ve been looking at the Harbor Freight 212cc or 301cc to get the cart rolling and see how they like it. And if there is a need for speed later on either upgrade the motor or the kart. Thoughts?

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the Harbor Freight 212cc or 301cc to get the cart rolling and see how they like it. And if there is a need for speed later on either upgrade the motor or the kart. Thoughts?
I think you're going to be happier with the stock style GY6 engine with more power, higher rpm, and reverse. Why spend the time and money on fabrication and parts just to have to redo it later because the kart performs worse than stock?

Kshilman23

Reaction score
I think you're going to be happier with the stock style GY6 engine with more power, higher rpm, and reverse. Why spend the time and money on fabrication and parts just to have to redo it later because the kart performs worse than stock.
Besides the engine what else is needed? I have nothing but a frame right now.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Been exploring those GY6 setups (curiosity) and apparently they all have an integral reverse gear. Not exactly excited about those weird looking things, but must admit that having reverse can be a big deal.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Been exploring those GY6 setups (curiosity) and apparently they all have an integral reverse gear.

Some have external reverse also.