Narrowing an aluminum rim

bogkid

Reaction score
I have an 8" wide 6"dia. rim that I would like to narrow to 6". Kart won't be driven, just for wagon. Has anyone done this?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about cutting and re-welding the rims to make them narrower? I have seen one member do it (karl), but if you don't really know what you are doing it could just turn out to be a disaster

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
At first I was thinking put it on a lathe, but that's a good way to permanently ruin them, now that I think about it!

But yeah, you'd better be reeeaal good at cutting and welding aluminum to attempt this, it's probably easier to get some 6" wide rims. :p

bogkid

Reaction score
narrowing rims

Thanks for your responses. Yes, I do have a lathe and have already dismounted the tires (made my own tire removal tool) and proceeded to cut the rim halves apart. I also have TIG and MIG aluminum welders. One rim half is 3 1/2" and the other is 5" for an 8 1/2" rim.

My main concern was due to the rim taper. If I cut out 2" from the 5" half, I don't think the remaining pieces will be close enough in size to weld. Will probably go ahead and cut them and see how the remaining parts fit together. If I can't get good alignment, I can always just order a couple of VanK 2 1/2" rim halves and weld them to my 3 1/2" to make up 6".

anickode

Reaction score
Is this a one piece rim to begin with?

Remember you need to maintain the deepest part of the taper in order to be able to put the tires on.

bogkid

Reaction score
Thanks again for your responses. Yes, It was a one piece rim, which I put in a lathe and cut away the weld to separate the halves. I was aware that the narrow part of the rim is necessary for the tire bead to sit in while you're mounting the tires. I can post some pictures if someone could tell me how to attach them- I can look at the site for directions to attach photos.

bogkid

Reaction score
narrowing rims

here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_7388.JPG
    IMG_7388.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7387.JPG
    IMG_7387.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7386.JPG