My clutch blew up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
I was riding my predator 212 pretty hard for a few hours and then my clutch fell apart. I then assembled the clutch together and welded it to keep it from breaking. i rode it hard again and after a hill climb my clutch fell apart again . this time the outer plate broke and the welds came off. I am starting to think my predator 212 has too much power for my max torque clutch. i just made a header for it and it seems to have added quite a bit of power to it since the new pipe the clutch has been blowing up on me. i was thinking of getting a clutch or torque converter what should i get for my setup i am thinking my predator 212 is pushing around 9 hp and im adding a k&n style air filter and rejetting the carb what do you guys think.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Degoverned with a new header could be pushing atleast 8, wack a better filter on ans you could be pushing 9hp.

I would look into a better clutch, or wait until the member on here is producing manual clutches.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
I suspect it was not a power issue. Burning out a clutch is one thing, but catastrophic failure?

The max torque clutch says it can handle 7 to 8 hp max. I am going to add a filter to make it 9 hp . i can take a pic of my clutch for you guys a little later.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
even though it says its good up until 8hp, it should stand a few more HP.

taking off the governor wont gain you more power. only make the engine spin faster

if you have the money for a torque converter its well worth it

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
are there any good clutches made for 8 to 9 hp? i need a strong clutch because i do a lot of hill climbing.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
I am missing a clutch shoe :oops: hopefully i can find it somewhere :cornut:

Attachments

• 100_0937[1].jpg
    100_0937[1].jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0938[1].jpg
    100_0938[1].jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 27

mckutzy

Reaction score
Well.... I not to sure what the missing shoe will do once/if you find it. The thing is hooped. You might have saved it had you not messed with it and ruined it.

The thing isnt all that expensive to begin with.

What came of you to weld it back together. I am having a hard time just trying to understand that part.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
On those clutches, the back plate and hub are kind of crimped together. That bond is obviously what let go in the first place. I'm struggling to imagine what caused that sort of failure. I can picture slop/misalignment doing it, dunno. Wasn't your engine.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
yea the bushing was kind of loose and allowed the clutch to wobble. i was climbing a nice hill the two times the clutch fell apart. i am considering a noram ge clutch for $60 or a tav 2 for $120.

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
i am putting it on a cat what is the fastest it can top out with the tc ? can it handle being run at 5000 rpms all day?

tundrabeagle3

Reaction score
so the reason my clutch blew up was because the bushing was wobbling the clutch around? how much hp can a standard max torque clutch withstand? i am trying to find out why my clutch fell apart? could it have been the rpms i was fully pinned in high rpms when my clutch got damaged. also how much faster will my minibike go with a tav 2 vs a clutch. i was going at least 42 mph with the clutch with plenty of low end to hill climbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.