MTD Columbia - Need some help reassembling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.

Reaction score
Woah! I haven't been on here in a while.

Anyway, I have an old MTD Columbia frame that I picked up for free a while back. Unmodified frame, wheels, bars, tank, almost everything except the engine and jack shaft. I want to restore the wheels first. The problem is I do not know how to rebuild the rear wheel. I lost the axle, unfortunately, so I do not have anything to go off of at this point. I need an axle and bearings but I don't know how to fit them in there or which ones to get. The I.D. of the hole in the wheel is 1 1/2 inches on the sprocket side, and a little less, probably 1 3/8 inches on the brake drum side.

I want to put a set of bearings and an axle in there and call it a day. What should I use? Any advice? Trying to do this real cheap.

http://imgur.com/a/WD1G5

First image isnt working for me, but its just a shot of the whole wheel, brake drum side.

mckutzy

Reaction score
First does it look like there was bearings in there, in the first place?
If bearings have to fit in there you will need exact size. You need a mic or at least a caliper.

mike.

Reaction score
Yeah there were bearings in there. What kind of bearings do I need? There is no flange or anything to hold them in there. I will figure out the size when I get home from work.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I dont know what kind of bearings you will need(well any regular sealed ball bearing), but you need to find the size of bore to determine that.

mike.

Reaction score
Ok so just slap some bearings in there that fit? Because I have access to about 100 different sizes of bearings for free.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I cant say for sure, but I cant see any shoulder or pocket for bearing to fit(from your pics that is). That what I was getting at.

If something fits and has the right axle dia. then hey, do what ever.
I does look like however, it might be some of those cheap pressed sheet metal flange bearings in there originally, so you might need something with a flange or a snap ring groove in the outer race to hold it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.