Motorized Bike Time. A cheap, law-dodging Moped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
So, I'm about to build a motorized bike.
(Most of you are probably already familiar with these, but I ramble about them below anyway)

I've ordered an 80cc two stroke kit, and I have an old Trek mountain bike ready to convert. These kits are awesome. You can find them on ebay for $99, and they have everything needed to motorize a bicycle. Motorized bikes are a grey area in legality here in Oregon, so I should be fine riding in the bike lanes as long as I switch the engine off and pedal around traffic. They're basically gas-powered electric bicycles.

These things get 150 MPG and come with a half-gallon tank. They go about 35mph on level ground with no mods.

Basically, a motorized bike is a legal go kart or mini bike you can take anywhere. By putting a kit on a mountain bike, you've basically created a off-road trail rider as well as a street cruiser.
The order:
2016-11-01 11_00_50-New notification.png.jpg
Example kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282062391351?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

How to install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFk3gio2kA

The bike: (I took the grips and wheels off, I have to patch the tubes)
File_000.jpg
File_001.jpg
I chose a mountain bike for off roading. It's a little small, (18 inch frame, 26 inch wheels) but free. Might as well use it. I can always switch the kit to another bike, or sell this one and start over.
This shall be fun. I'll update when the kit arrives.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I've built 2. One was a cruiser and the other was a mountain bike. Considering that I got both engines from the same seller and everything was the same on each bike, one of them topped out at 28mph and the other would hit 35. Still not sure why because All the specs were the same.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
I hear top speed is related to fuel ratio and how correctly the engines are broken in.
I'm starting to feel that this 18 inch frame is too small for me. I'm almost 6'.
Time to look at Craigslist. Thankfully bikes are pretty cheap.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Mopeds are like fat ch--ks. Fun to ride bit you do not want you friends to see you with them.

mckutzy

Reaction score
.....Thats not what she said.......

That is....The wife looking over my shoulder reading this post.....
:eek::eek:

Bwdeaton

Reaction score

The one I have. The other was stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So in Illinois it says 50cc max displacement and top speed of 20 to 30 mph max for moped, can have no manual gear shifting.

I have a 5 mile ride to work with bike paths going half way there?

Not worried about motorized bikes on the path, but if I can ride this to work on the streets, that work be awesome.

The laws seem to say I can take a 50cc dirtbike, minibike, pit bike,.... and ride it on public streets

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
In Arkansas you can put lights and a horn (even a squeeze bulb will pass) on a dirt bike and tag it like any other. KTM450's are a good time on the street.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
So, in Oregon, moped laws exclude most motor-assisted vehicles. YOu can still use the bike normally. So, I'm riding. If a cop tells me to never get on the road again, fine. But if I see a policeman, I'll turn the engine off and start pedaling.
I took it on the road today. With 16:1 break in gas, I hit 32mph. At that speed, I could not stay in the bike lane. It was too slippery and unstable.
In the future, I'm going slower when there's traffic, and I will use the bike lane. When I get near stop signs or intersections, I'll just use the bike normally.
Bob, try it. You have the perfect circumstance for going to work. Get a dual brake lever: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-All...066934?hash=item3d19282736:g:ZDsAAOSw7FRWWb~o
So you're not playing with three handlebars.

Jfive

Reaction score
So in Illinois it says 50cc max displacement and top speed of 20 to 30 mph max for moped, can have no manual gear shifting.

I have a 5 mile ride to work with bike paths going half way there?

Not worried about motorized bikes on the path, but if I can ride this to work on the streets, that work be awesome.

The laws seem to say I can take a 50cc dirtbike, minibike, pit bike,.... and ride it on public streets

Buy a 49cc sticker problem solved.

mckutzy

Reaction score
The thing is about these motors.... my clone is much quieter than these.... being 2 stroke.... they wail from blocks away........fricken noisy as he11....

Status
Not open for further replies.