Modify auto starter for forward / reverse kart motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
NICE!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And thanks to Robert for uploading the stuff to the site, permanently.

Yes and if anybody needs a little more of an explanation about certain things, feel free to ask. I'll update the PDF too with more updated relevant information if needed.

scottpdotnet

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of it mounted? Also, what type of sprocket is used on the shaft?

One more question, I didn't see a PDF version of the guide anywhere.

Thank you for the time spent putting this together, I can see it to be a very valuable how-to.

Scott

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but unfortunately when it comes to mounting it to something, you're on your own, unless someone else can give you some tips. :( I haven't mounted the one I modified to anything and I haven't yet made anything with any starters. The only reason I even modified that starter was to make that how-to. I can, however, send you the PDF if you PM me your email address.

Harlan

Reaction score
starter reverse

NICE!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And thanks to Robert for uploading the stuff to the site, permanently.

Yes and if anybody needs a little more of an explanation about certain things, feel free to ask. I'll update the PDF too with more updated relevant information if needed.

I have a old cubcadet starter/generator with 2 brushes one brush is grounded. Delco system. Some of the connections/disconnections were not to clear. Should I attack it as you prescribe?
Thanks, hbloom@tampabay.rr.com

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Does it have permanent magnets or field coils? If it has field coils like a regular starter, you'd have to do something similar.

Harlan

Reaction score
Does it have permanent magnets or field coils? If it has field coils like a regular starter, you'd have to do something similar.

It only has two fields, and one grounded brush. It seems like one of the fields is only for generating, if I have the wiring figured out. There are two ports comming from the casing, One for starting and one for generating. One of the fields goes directly to the generating port. and the grounded brush. It was working when I took it off. Thanks, Harlan- hbloom@tampabay.rr.com

Harlan

Reaction score
I can't get my drawing to copy to here. I made a mistake due to bad lighting, the ground brush is alone. The start field has #8 wire going to the start terminal and the + brush. A #14 wire goes to the other field and to the generator terminal, from the + brush and start winding.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
That sound a little different than a regular starter. Is there any way you can get us some pics of what you got? I'll try to post up a diagram of what you're supposed to end up with.

Harlan

Reaction score
OK-What I ended up doing is taking the charging winding out, and replacing it exactley with another start winding. Now I have starter moter that is reversable by just switching the terminal cables around, with a grounded frame, and is already pully driven. I am setting it up on the rudders on my airtoon I built, for steering. I don't have a decent camera to make closeup pics. I am now making a coupler to drive a worm gear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.