Modified Grand Daddy Build

Econdron

Reaction score
You guys have been an amazing community that has helped me a lot, starting over 10 years ago when I learned how to weld so that I could build a go kart. That hobby fueled my passion for metalworking and ultimately encouraged my decision to leave a career of mechanical engineering to start a welding and fabrication shop. Best decision of my life. We're currently a little slow at the shop, so I'm having the team build a go kart. I've looked it up and seen a lot of discussion on the Grand Daddy plans/build. I personally find it a little offensive that the Spider Karts guy really doesn't offer any customer service anymore, just continues to sell his old plans and isn't involved at all! Not to mention many aspects of his plans are... Sketchy at best. Like what's with the open tube ends?? So... I will offer my modified version of the plans for free. We are just starting the build, so I'll put up a completed set of drawings and plans once all the kinks are worked out. The kart is being designed to run with 2 adults, so I'm increasing the length and width, and also increased the material size to 1-1/2" to give some extra rigidity with the added size. Here are the 3D renderings for the build so far:
Go Kart.jpg
Go Kart2.jpg

The sheet metal trim and floorboard are not shown, but that will be added when complete. The back is going to end up being some kind of storage, possibly a bench seat. I'll feel it out after the rest of the frame is made. The back suspension is going to pivot off of 3/4" pin x 10" long bullet hinges with grease zerks. I feel like that's a much better option than some 1/8" thick brackets with a bolt. Trying to have this look as professionally built as possible.

I attached screenshots of my order history for the parts. I would love as much input as possible on things to reconsider, watch out for, etc. I'll update the progress as much as I can.

The engine that I purchased was from Amazon, the Duromax 440CC XP18HPE for $407.55.

I haven't quite decided on the foot pedals yet. Might just custom make something here.

We've got semi-auto saws, a CNC plasma cutter, a press brake, mill, lathe, and a 5' x 6' x 10' powder coating oven setup, so I'm trying to go all out with what I can as far as in-house services to make this something we can proud of!

Attachments

• BMI Order.jpg
    BMI Order.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 17
  • eBay Order.jpg
    eBay Order.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Jegs Order.jpg
    Jegs Order.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 17

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
That‘s a lot more special tools than most of us have. That‘ll really show the quality of your shop.

Econdron

Reaction score
That‘s a lot more special tools than most of us have. That‘ll really show the quality of your shop.
Oh great, now I feel pressured lol. We mainly build furniture/display products, not go karts or anything related to the automotive industry, so don't be expecting too much! I'd love as much insight as possible.

redflash

Reaction score
double and triple check leg length.....most Kart plans are 10-12 inches too short for a real adult size person. Had to lengthen my spyder kart by about 12 inches for grown up legs.

Da redflash

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I feel my Spidey senses tingling! You know listening to us even 10 years ago is a sketchy idea at best! Glad it worked out for you.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Oh great, now I feel pressured lol. We mainly build furniture/display products, not go karts or anything related to the automotive industry, so don't be expecting too much! I'd love as much insight as possible.
Ah I’m just messing about. Should be fun, and remember; do not take it too seriously, it’s for fun.

panchothedog

Reaction score
How aggressive are you going at this? With the shop, tools, and experienced
employees for the build do you have a time line, or educated guess at how long it will take. Keep the pictures coming as the build progresses. Maybe you don't want the pressure but I think it's going to be awesome.

Econdron

Reaction score
How aggressive are you going at this? With the shop, tools, and experienced
employees for the build do you have a time line, or educated guess at how long it will take. Keep the pictures coming as the build progresses. Maybe you don't want the pressure but I think it's going to be awesome.
The frame should go pretty quick, like just a couple days. The rest of the build with the final fit/assembly I have a hunch will take a couple weeks with all the questions I'll have, misc parts that need to be ordered, etc. It's a little too wet around here anyway to be able to ride this (norther Illinois).

The lower main frame was cut and tacked together this morning. Here's a picture of Luis testing it for size. He's 5'7". This shows where the seats would be slid all the way back.

I have some more pictures of the cutting, tacking, and layout. I'll put those up soon.

Attachments

• 20230308_092433.jpg
    20230308_092433.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Functional Artist

Reaction score
It's crazy how much stuff goes into a go kart!
Yup, I agree! :thumbsup:

I currently (he he) have a mini-Jeep "splattered" all over our Rec room
...& my wife "just loves it" :devil2::innocent:

I tell her (& our kids) just think of the memories :cornut:

Like "remember when Dad designed & built that Jeep "in the house"?" :sifone:

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Yup, I agree! :thumbsup:

I currently (he he) have a mini-Jeep "splattered" all over our Rec room
...& my wife "just loves it" :devil2::innocent:

I tell her (& our kids) just think of the memories :cornut:

Like "remember when Dad designed & built that Jeep "in the house"?" :sifone:
Good memories? For you! :roflol:

Econdron

Reaction score
Not a ton of progress today, we're going to finish up the lower frame, suspension arms, rear engine mount frame, and then start the assembly of all the bits a pieces before we get too caried away with the frame building.

There's a lot of work I need to do on the stock parts I bought, the steering kit is too small, all the way around. Hopefully it's heavy enough to actually work. The steering column needs to be extended and so do the tie rods. The good news is the Jegs 70242 seat slides will definitely work on the 70250 seats. We just need to make the "grab handle" narrower since it looks like the brackets were intended to be mounted several inches further apart than the screw holes on the 70250 seats. The adjustable seat brackets that are made to go with the 70250 seats were about $23/Ea more expensive and were out of stock until September.

I also had trouble finding a stock 1-1/4" axle that would work for my build, so I'm just machining one from 1-1/4" 6061 T6 aluminum round bar. Should be pretty straight forward.

FYI, as I mentioned before, this is a "Shop project", so the photos will show various people from the shop making this, not me. I can't take any credit for any of their work lol

Attachments

• IMG-1912.jpg
    IMG-1912.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1925.jpg
    IMG-1925.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12