Max torque vs Hilliard Clutches

Colemanman

Reaction score
Most of my clutches I've bought over the years have been max torque clutches and ive havent used a Hilliard in years. They cost a bit more money and i know the internals are of a different design. Which two clutches are more reliable and durable? Is the extra for the hillard worth it? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Hilliard themselves rate their clutches (at least the comparable models to the maxtorque SS [like extreme duty and inferno series])
the same as maxtorque rate theirs... no difference there.
the racing clutches might be different.

'sid

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
From what I've heard the Hilliards have nicer bronze bushings, but in my own experience Max-Torques do the trick just fine for 20ish bucks. Mine's been used and abused very hard for somewhere around 30 to 40 years by kids out in the country and now me, and it runs like a champ! As with most clutches I have to oil it periodically, but hey, it does the job just fine! It actually is more reliable than the sprag starter clutch on my Briggs lol.
From what I can tell the Hilliards are mostly just more expensive. Another thing of note is that Max-Torques actually have how to disassemble videos, only one clutch spring instead of 4 or 5 smaller ones, and upgraded springs are available for purchase so you can customize the stall speed to be lower or higher.

So in short my opinion: I haven't used Hilliards, but if you want to pay a little extra, their Extreme Duty clutches oughta hold up pretty well to general thrashing. For performance oriented stuff I recommend the Max-Torque SS (Six Shoe), almost entirely because they can be rebuild and upgraded at home. IF you do go for the Max-Torque, MAKE SURE it's a genuine one!! There are actually a lot of fakes on the market!

Colemanman

Reaction score
From what I've heard the Hilliards have nicer bronze bushings, but in my own experience Max-Torques do the trick just fine for 20ish bucks. Mine's been used and abused very hard for somewhere around 30 to 40 years by kids out in the country and now me, and it runs like a champ! As with most clutches I have to oil it periodically, but hey, it does the job just fine! It actually is more reliable than the sprag starter clutch on my Briggs lol.
From what I can tell the Hilliards are mostly just more expensive. Another thing of note is that Max-Torques actually have how to disassemble videos, only one clutch spring instead of 4 or 5 smaller ones, and upgraded springs are available for purchase so you can customize the stall speed to be lower or higher.

So in short my opinion: I haven't used Hilliards, but if you want to pay a little extra, their Extreme Duty clutches oughta hold up pretty well to general thrashing. For performance oriented stuff I recommend the Max-Torque SS (Six Shoe), almost entirely because they can be rebuild and upgraded at home. IF you do go for the Max-Torque, MAKE SURE it's a genuine one!! There are actually a lot of fakes on the market!
Right on man thanks for the information. Ill probably stick with the max torque then. I like that they are 1 piece u its and that their easy to disassemble. Yea i always buy the genuine ones. I see alot of knock off for cheap compared the real deal max torque. I think if i remember right. Max torque says the copys spring wire is garbage and cant take the heat like a genuine one. Non related to the max torque and Hilliard question, but are clutches with needle bearings any better than the standard bronze bushing. I like to learn about the intricacies the different design.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Needle bearings are more forgiving about being oiled so often, and a little better for racing applications due to better stability and less friction at high speed. However, heat will quickly ruin a needle bearing clutch, whereas a bushing will usually survive it just fine. As with most racing things, it's a little better, but also like most racing things, it requires good maintenance habits.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Bearing clutches need grease not oil... They need to have the center bolt have grease through hole drilled and a grease nipple installed, aswell as having the shaft have a hole for the grease to come through....
Once this is done.. thay can have a good life and usuall have better heat resistance... But mostly those are higher end clutches...

Colemanman

Reaction score
Bearing clutches need grease not oil... They need to have the center bolt have grease through hole drilled and a grease nipple installed, aswell as having the shaft have a hole for the grease to come through....
Once this is done.. thay can have a good life and usuall have better heat resistance... But mostly those are higher end clutches...
That sounds like the max torque max lube clutch kinda deal. When you said bearing clutches need grease, i assume you are talking about the needle bearings right?