• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

manual shifting automatic = gas saver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
so as ive been told by many, manual cars are much better on gas than an automatic, and i dont mind shifting. i drive an automatic 2003 sable LS, would manually shifting the transmission help save gas?

scarletvw

Reaction score
Manually shifting your automatic transmission? no

One reason that a manual gets better gas mileage is because at any given time the engine is directly putting power through the crank to the flywheel through the clutch into the transmission and out to the wheels. With a traditional automatic it goes from the crank to the flex plate/torque converter where fluid is pumped over vains and the transmission does not actually make a direct mechanical connection until the torque converter locks up.

In short, there is a higher amount of drivetrain power loss from an automatic to a manual, drivetrain loss means lower effitency which means lower fuel economy.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Right! More modern slushboxes are more efficient than older ones, too. In fact, If your TCM and tranny are working properly, you may actually be losing efficiency by shifting it manually.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
the only time i manually shift is when i want to have fun or brakes if the brakes failed. otherwise i let the transmission do its thing. i have heard the newer slush boxes are fairly efficient but i don't think they will ever be as good as a standard transmission. every vehicle that usually get real good gas mileage for its size has a standard behind it.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I have only driven an automatic a few times, and I must say that I don't like them. You don't have the freedom like you do with a manual gearbox. 80% of the cars here in South Africa are manual. Automatics are just not too popular. Also, if you get your drivers licence in an automatic car, you can never drive a manual. Its against the law. I sometimes feel that driving automatics is like a cop-out

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I have only driven an automatic a few times, and I must say that I don't like them. You don't have the freedom like you do with a manual gearbox. 80% of the cars here in South Africa are manual. Automatics are just not too popular. Also, if you get your drivers licence in an automatic car, you can never drive a manual. Its against the law. I sometimes feel that driving automatics is like a cop-out

Theres no way to? You cant re-apply or something?
Seems kind of goofy?
:confused:

Although, I would guess it keeps some of the looneys off the roads?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Theres no way to? You cant re-apply or something?
Seems kind of goofy?
:confused:

Although, I would guess it keeps some of the looneys off the roads?

To be able to drive a manual, you Will them have to retake your drivers test in a manual. If you do your drivers test in a manual though, you can also drive an automatic

sexyvicta

Reaction score
yeh you do save gas. My falcon had a 3 speed auto and it stoped working/forgot how to change gears by itself. I found my gas milage got better once i had to shift manualy haha

edit:there probably wouldn't be much difference on a modern/smarter transmission

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
yeh you do save gas. My falcon had a 3 speed auto and it stoped working/forgot how to change gears by itself. I found my gas milage got better once i had to shift manualy haha

edit:there probably wouldn't be much difference on a modern/smarter transmission

Yeah, but what year of car are we talking about?

sexyvicta

Reaction score
1989-ish. australian ford. probably old 70's or early 80's era box. they upgraded to a 4 speed the next year/model. Falcons have 6 speed autos now(i think zf, the same as landrover, jaguar etc). You can get realy good milage for the size of the car and it also changes down for engine braking when you go down hills + auto adjusts shifting to suit your driving style.

Status
Not open for further replies.