Manco 606b with Predator 420cc Swap Series 40 Problem

faultsafe

Reaction score
This is my understanding after having dealt with this for the last couple weeks:

If you have the time and energy it would be best to create your own jackshaft setup and not rely on the plates. You can learn how to properly size belts, as well as general fabrication skills to get it mounted and it would be better long term.

HOWEVER if you're just tinkering around, cause you are just building a go kart at the end of the day, it is INSANELY better to just order the kits off amazon, bolt the thing on, and go.

At the end of the day its a $300 engine on a $200 go kart. Don't over think it.

Side Note: Seriously; screw go power sports. I am beyond pissed off at their markups and "complete steering kit" that doesn't even come with the steering shaft.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Go Power was around when they needed us. When they hooked up with the jerks from cars and cameras they took away our discount because they didn’t need us anymore. Well we don’t need to pay their prices anymore!

faultsafe

Reaction score
Go Power was around when they needed us. When they hooked up with the jerks from cars and cameras they took away our discount because they didn’t need us anymore. Well we don’t need to pay their prices anymore!
This actually makes a lot of sense. I had only heard of them from cars and cameras and red beards garage so the marketing is obviously working and I've given them more money on this project than I have who I bought the thing from AND the engine. Unreal.

Having said that; this was a pretty fun project and I took the wife on her first ride last night. She screamed as we dived into the creek and then back out like a bat out of hell. Only snag is that it felt like we were going to flip when attempting to get the backend out around one of my turns in the track in the back. I may need to lower the suspension so we have a lower center of gravity. That or finally swap out that hex rear axle and tires cause these 18 x 950 x 8 are a PITA to get to break lose. I can get them to squeal a bit on pavement but can't do donuts because it just pushes the front (even with the battery weight on it).

You guys think its possible because I used the spare solid polyurethane tires up front that might be why?

My buddy thinks its still just weight related given how heavy the rear is compared to the front. We're going to shape some sheet metal around the front to look like armor/add weight.

Attachments

• GoKart.jpg
    GoKart.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 8

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Unless you use a super skinny tire, water and dish soap they ain’t going to break loose. Solid plastic tires are never a good idea for on or off road. They just can’t conform to the surfaces and do nothing to grip.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Oops, I almost forgot. That thing is looking good with the big blue Duro Max on the back. I’ll bet it moves out too! One more thing keep the rear tires!

panchothedog

Reaction score
AH You could try toning it down a bit when the Mrs. is on board. Obviously don't know about your wife, but for most Ladies loud pipes, horse power, and scary rides just doesn't have the same effect as for us guys.

faultsafe

Reaction score
Unless you use a super skinny tire, water and dish soap they ain’t going to break loose. Solid plastic tires are never a good idea for on or off road. They just can’t conform to the surfaces and do nothing to grip.
Thank you for explaining it this way; I knew the plastic tires were the issue but couldn't for the life of me explain why.

Lack of flexibility which decreases the contact patch with the ground is a very reasonable assumption. I've ordered replacement (real) front 4x4 tires and will try again here soon.

One more thing keep the rear tires!

I'm on the fence on this. One of the tires is leaking air (rim issue) and its also the same one that is 'stuck' on the hex axle. I banged on it for about an hour to try to get the wheel off to no avail. That is why I was debating on swapping to a 1" round (non-hex) axle, bigger (slotted) brake rotor, and split sprockets so I can regear in case I want to do 60 instead of 45. (This thing has STUPID torque and can climb over just about anything you have the clearance for. Its the only one of my toys that doesn't need a bridge to cross the creek. It just dives in and climbs out without even thinking about it.)

New shocks were a huge upgrade to anyone doing something similar. Believe they were $45 for 2 on amazon and were well worth the money.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just for an experiment, overinflate the rear tires as much as you think is still safe, see if you can get them to break loose under that very different kind of circumstance.