Manco 400? build advice

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Hello to all! Hoping I came to the best place because I definitely need advice. I believe this is a Manco 400 go kart. It's missing several parts that are obvious to me....I'm a hot rod/muscle car builder never done a go kart before. I'll try here to describe what I know and hopefully someone here can help me with what I don't.
The drive wheel sprocket and hardware, centrifugal clutch assembly and sprocket as well as the chain is missing. I have no throttle cable and this isn't the original engine but a 6.5hp Predator. Also the front tires are worn out. The brake and throttle pedal return springs are weak and deformed.
I contacted Jesus from Gopowersports and sent pics so they know what I have but to be honest I need help.
Where is the best place to find parts and can I find new parts or is that impossible with a discontinued kart? Is there a schematic in print or blow up I can see reference to see part numbers or possibly whats missing? Has anyone ever put a 6.5hp Predator motor on one of these? Thank you for any input or helpful advice. I'm actually building this as a favor for a 72 year old child.

Attachments

• 20220617_145006.jpg
    20220617_145006.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 6

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Hi, 55 year old child here, ex Buick mechanic and E-Z GO golf kart dealer. Also I’m a severe muscle car and antique car collector. I have a very serious problem that I hope there is no cure for.
You have one of the most popular old karts and easiest to adapt parts for. Walmart, MFG Supply, Go Power Sports, Gokart Supply and McMaster Carr, EBay and Amazon will either have some or all of the supplies and parts you may need. Also a bunch of other places I can’t think of the names now. I’ve been up for 24+ hours now. Instead of a centrifugal clutch consider a Amazon cheap Chinese 30 series TAV II CVT system with a Genuine Comet belt instead of the one in the kit. It will increase the fun factor many times over. Weather you go with 30 or 40 series chain try to shoot for a 6:1 gear ratio maybe even as high as 5:1 with a CVT system. Gokart Supply has a great gear ratio calculator on their site. But no higher than 5:1!!! On MANCO karts they did not use a spacer between the wheel and sprocket. Instead they used bolts and a bunch of nuts threaded on for spacers. Ok, time for you to do some research as to what specific parts will work for you and your needs. Azusa also makes parts that will work for your kart. Good luck and May The Force Be With You!!! Continue with this thread as a build thread, look around and see what others are doing and how they are adapting things. Remember the dumbest question in the world is the one that is never asked. So ask away when you learn the proper terms and have an idea how you want to proceed.

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Hi, 55 year old child here, ex Buick mechanic and E-Z GO golf kart dealer. Also I’m a severe muscle car and antique car collector. I have a very serious problem that I hope there is no cure for.
You have one of the most popular old karts and easiest to adapt parts for. Walmart, MFG Supply, Go Power Sports, Gokart Supply and McMaster Carr, EBay and Amazon will either have some or all of the supplies and parts you may need. Also a bunch of other places I can’t think of the names now. I’ve been up for 24+ hours now. Instead of a centrifugal clutch consider a Amazon cheap Chinese 30 series TAV II CVT system with a Genuine Comet belt instead of the one in the kit. It will increase the fun factor many times over. Weather you go with 30 or 40 series chain try to shoot for a 6:1 gear ratio maybe even as high as 5:1 with a CVT system. Gokart Supply has a great gear ratio calculator on their site. But no higher than 5:1!!! On MANCO karts they did not use a spacer between the wheel and sprocket. Instead they used bolts and a bunch of nuts threaded on for spacers. Ok, time for you to do some research as to what specific parts will work for you and your needs. Azusa also makes parts that will work for your kart. Good luck and May The Force Be With You!!! Continue with this thread as a build thread, look around and see what others are doing and how they are adapting things. Remember the dumbest question in the world is the one that is never asked. So ask away when you learn the proper terms and have an idea how you want to proceed.
Excellent! Thank you sir! I am interested in the cheap easy way but I know nothing of belt driven setups. Are they similar priced as centrifugal clutch/chain systems and will they be a bolt on that can match the drive wheel as well as the motor shaft side? I'd love to see a video on this mod. Good information on the ratio...I'd forgotten to ask about that. I'm guessing 1.5 would be a higher top speed but slower take off...? He certainly doesn't need to go too fast with those brakes lol....Geez it's just 2 paddles that rub the tires when applied. Also thanks for the parts sources! Totally surprised there's so many.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
With a centrifugal clutch I would stay at 6:1 gear ratio. Absolutely no higher or you will just burn up clutches rapidly. Especially if riding off road. Centrifugal clutch = $35.00
A 30 series TAV II CVT Amazon cheapie = $60.00 + Genuine Comet belt = $35.00.
Now for the advantages and disadvantages for each.
Centrifugal Clutch,
Simple to install. What came on the kart from factory. Does not like frequent starts and stops and acceleration. Does not like off paved road riding or climbing any kind of hills. Only likes higher rpm steady driving. Shorter service life.
30 Series TAV II CVT,
A little more difficult to install, a little more maintenance. Also a little higher initial buy in but lower cost after that. It’s like putting an automatic transmission in your kart. Can go with a little higher gear ratio and has slight overdrive at higher max speed overall. Easier and faster starts from a dead stop. You can vary speed without shortening clutch or belt life. Great on or off road and hill climbing power. Way more fun!
Now you can make an informed choice those are the facts. You could also convert it to live axle for even more fun!

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
With a centrifugal clutch I would stay at 6:1 gear ratio. Absolutely no higher or you will just burn up clutches rapidly. Especially if riding off road. Centrifugal clutch = $35.00
A 30 series TAV II CVT Amazon cheapie = $60.00 + Genuine Comet belt = $35.00.
Now for the advantages and disadvantages for each.
Centrifugal Clutch,
Simple to install. What came on the kart from factory. Does not like frequent starts and stops and acceleration. Does not like off paved road riding or climbing any kind of hills. Only likes higher rpm steady driving. Shorter service life.
30 Series TAV II CVT,
A little more difficult to install, a little more maintenance. Also a little higher initial buy in but lower cost after that. It’s like putting an automatic transmission in your kart. Can go with a little higher gear ratio and has slight overdrive at higher max speed overall. Easier and faster starts from a dead stop. You can vary speed without shortening clutch or belt life. Great on or off road and hill climbing power. Way more fun!
Now you can make an informed choice those are the facts. You could also convert it to live axle for even more fun!
Ha! Positraction! Or actually more like a spool. This one will be on mostly level paved city type surfaces and for simplicity and the fact that I'm doing it as a favor I'll go centrifugal. Thanks for the information because you're a great help here. I was worried when I took this project before knowing parts were missing.
Thanks to that and Karttekk for the download so I can see the parts I need with part numbers...hopefully it's a Manco 400 in the link....it looks like it's close.
Do these wheels actually split in half? Tubed tires I guess. Also looks like there should be a wheel sprocket spacer on it

Karttekk

Reaction score
Yes they split in half. I've done a few Carter karts with split rims, they're usually rusted pretty badly and need cleaned up. I put new tubes and tires on them. I sand down the rust then refinish with Rustoleum spray paint. Works fine. Here are some before and afters of a Carter I recently sold with split rims. Fabricated the front roll cage bars.

Attachments

• Carter_rat.jpg
    Carter_rat.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Roll on.jpg
    Roll on.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2

Karttekk

Reaction score
You'll need whatever the PDF shows unless you can adapt something else. Something like this might work.

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Yes they split in half. I've done a few Carter karts with split rims, they're usually rusted pretty badly and need cleaned up. I put new tubes and tires on them. I sand down the rust then refinish with Rustoleum spray paint. Works fine. Here are some before and afters of a Carter I recently sold with split rims. Fabricated the front roll cage bars.
That's great! Because I've replaced tires on riding mowers and they're NOT easy. This should be a snap compared to sweating 3 hours to get 2 tires done on a Murray 42.
Looks good 👍

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
You'll need whatever the PDF shows unless you can adapt something else. Something like this might work.

Probably do the spacer...whatever was factory original.

Karttekk

Reaction score
What I've found that works when trying to get the rusted beads loose from the rims is cut the old tire off about an inch or so from the bead then all that's left is the seized parts of the tire. Soak down the "rings" then work them off the wheel.

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Probably do the spacer...whatever was factory original.

If you can find one. Is your missing?
Yes I only have the frame on wheels and a motor basically. No centrifugal clutch, sprockets, chain, cables....Dad lost them

Karttekk

Reaction score

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Guys I got as much as I could think of using your references. Mostly from Gopowersports...spent $177. Luckily I called them first because I had a 10T clutch paired with a 60T drive sprocket and Jesus said it wouldn't work with the #35 chain. I got the 12T clutch and I guess that makes the final drive 5:1 instead of 6:1 which he said is fine. Throttle cable, pedal return springs, n 2 front 4" tires also from them. Got the spacer from Stoller lawn n garden. Now it's just wait for parts and hope it fits. Once I get it working I still have to take it back apart, straighten the frame, sand n paint, then final assembly. I'll keep you posted and thank you to the guys for the information, links, and pointing me in the right direction.

Karttekk

Reaction score
If everything goes as planned, and I think it will, the feeling of accomplishment you'll get on the first road test will be something to experience. Can't wait to see a video of it flying around. You won't want to quit riding.

Beavisusmc

Reaction score
Having a little hiccup on finding the spacer that goes between the wheel gear and the 2 piece 5" wheel itself. Called Stollers Lawn n Garden and they havent updated their inventory and don't have any...so the one I ordered last week isnt coming. The guy was nice enough to give a part number #2259-A and said they order it from AZUSA on the west coast. I guess these are called AZUSALITE wheels....? Anyway I'm trying to find a closer source and probably will call GPSports again. Im not seeing it on their site however. Also the one on the AZUSA site has a bolt pattern of 3.75" and mine is maybe 3.5" so not sure if its right or I'm supposed to measure outside to outside. Automobiles are measured center to outside so maybe its different. But I'm straightening the bent frame today. Got the new front tires on last night and EVERYTHING should be 2 piece I think