Make Your Own Trail Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
How about that. Your work has been published more or less.

I am starting to give these trail bikes some serious respect--they have superb ground clearance. I like those narrow but aggressive tires you have too.

Desertduler

Reaction score
How about that. Your work has been published more or less.

I am starting to give these trail bikes some serious respect--they have superb ground clearance. I like those narrow but aggressive tires you have too.
Those tires were the last ones to exist. They were Good Year Extra Traction tires and I found 23 of them in a warehouse in Denver Colorado and bought them all. I have long since sold them off. That purple monster I built would do 45 mph and climb really steep hills. Those old trail scooters ride like a jack hammer!

Randy H

Reaction score
That's pretty cool Desertduler.

I've been researching Tote Gotes a little. Might even try to replicate one. At least capture the essence.

Desertduler

Reaction score
That's pretty cool Desertduler.

I've been researching Tote Gotes a little. Might even try to replicate one. At least capture the essence.
We had quite a few different makes that we raced at the time. After Ralph Bonham invented the Tote Gote back in the late 50's many other brands sprung into the market. Bearkat, Trailblazer, Hillbilly, Sherpa, Mountaineer, just to name a few. We had lot's of laughs racing those things they were the worst handling two wheeled machines I have ever ridden! I have some pictures somewhere of some of the trail scooters that we raced.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Tote Gote Land

http://users.infoconex.com/~ramrod/tgland.htm

The Bearcat is nuts. The rear tire and sprocket combo looks wicked. Looks unstoppable.

http://users.infoconex.com/~ramrod/Bearkat.htm

Desertduler, have you posted any pics or info about those machines? I'm sure a lot of guys would want to hear more. I barely remember an uncle having a Tote Gote. Only one I've seen in real life. 40 years ago.
Here is my friend Wade racing on his Bearkat during one of our races.
He and I used to race motorcycles in the desert together. Sadly he lost his life on a motocross track he came up short on a jump and crashed real hard. He was one excellent rider and at his funeral some of the sadness was lightened to a degree when they showed some of the photos of us racing these old machines.

Attachments

• DSCN3708.JPG
    DSCN3708.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 11

Desertduler

Reaction score
Here is Wade launching at one of our starts on his Bearkat (far right).
Notice the John Deere green " Hillbilly" that is my first racing trail scooter I had the smallest engine a 6.5 Honda GX 200.

Attachments

• P4050009.JPG
    P4050009.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 12

Desertduler

Reaction score
Here is a small glimpse of some of the terrain we were racing on.
Bill takes a "Soil Sample" aboard his Mountaineer!

Attachments

• P4060019.JPG
    P4060019.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 8
  • smokin willy.JPG
    smokin willy.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN3668.JPG
    DSCN3668.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN3667.JPG
    DSCN3667.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN3666.JPG
    DSCN3666.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN3702.JPG
    DSCN3702.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 4

Desertduler

Reaction score
Look at the pain on this young mans face as he nears the end of one of our "Gote" races.

Attachments

• DSCN3693.JPG
    DSCN3693.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 10

Desertduler

Reaction score
One last shot of Wade on his Bearkat as he gives a "Thumbs Up" to another buddy of mine who is no longer with us as he leads in one of our "Gote" races. Notice the remote desert tank on the front forks!

Attachments

• P4060011.JPG
    P4060011.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 11

Desertduler

Reaction score
The "Purple Monster" bucked me off one day and I cracked my right shoulder blade and I couldn't train my rear delts in the gym for awhile.

Attachments

• motogote2_1_.jpg
    motogote2_1_.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 8

Randy H

Reaction score
Desertduler
Thanks very much for those posts and pics. I can only imagine how precious they are to you.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Desertduler
Thanks very much for those posts and pics. I can only imagine how precious they are to you.
Thank you Randy, indeed they are. We did it to have fun and it was a blast to say the least! That is what life means to me create fond memories and we all got a big kick out of it! We dared to do it and we made it happen. :thumbsup:

Randy H

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to round up some pipe and expanded metal and see what I can come up with. Not even going to try to find a sprocket like that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

B_Bimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, looks like a pile of fun. I gotta say though, I think my back would just desert me if I tried to ride a minibike all day.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
You can't complain much about a machine that has little to no suspension and was meant to merely trundle along, negotiating narrow trails in the woods (if you believe the marketing brochures) to get a hunter to his cabin...;)

I love the plain, spartan, utilitarian styling (or is it no styling?) of these bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.