make ur own flange hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank

Reaction score
i went shopping for a steering shaft and hub, i decided on a 1/2" sch40 galvinized steel water pipe, and a flange fitting, because it fits into a 1" square tube very well, i took it home, and descovered its inner diameter MATCHES the outer diameter of a 5/8" keyed axle.

so it got me thinking

my current drive wheel is attached to the axle by a "weld on hub" from princess auto, the same one used to attach the sprocket to the axle, i figured the weld might not hold up, so i devised a back up plan in case of weld failure.

get a 1/2" galvinized steel nipple (meaning a short length of pipe", a flange, drill holes in the nipple, thread the holes with a 3/16" tap, use 3/16" bolts to engage the key slot on the axle, attach the mipple to the flange, apply loctite where the flange and the nipple joins, and thus you have yourself a easily made wheel hub fitting a 5/8" axle, also the pipe can be a spacer or add strength to the axle by increasing its overall outer diameter to 0.84, more than a 3/4" axle.

just wanted to share

here is dimensions for a 1/2" pipe

note: the inner diameter is 0.622 because the end of the pipe is slightly squeezed during threading, it'm more like a small rim than is easily filed away. trust me, it fits perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.