LowRider Ver 2.0 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
The only update here is, I've purchased all the bearings/parts to finish the secondary clutch/shaft and the front fork.... just no time to get to them. Also I've contacted a famous YouTube Video producer, who will help me shoot a 4 minute video (with added drama and techno-beat) of me hot-glue-gunning a sprocket to the secondary pulley, for alignment purposes! What's going to make this vid SO CUTTING EDGE, is the fact that the sprocket is NOT, I repeat NOT made from billet OR Unobtainium!
...BE a part of The Experience!

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Okay- got some stuff done today... built the fork, and mounted the secondary clutch shaft bearings. I tried to build the fork as strong as possible, using 1.5" square tubing for the uprights and 2.5" square tubing for the cross brace. It has a 1" stem to mount in the frame when I get the bearings mounted. I also welded hardened washers of the appropriate diameters at the front wheel shaft openings, and to reinforce the 1" stem. Hopefully this will work. The fork assembly weighs 9lbs.

Tomorrow, I'm going to mount the front fork bearings on the frame and drill/bolt the secondary pulley to the shaft. Once I get all three wheels on it, I'm going to go over all the welds, and then "test" the frame by towing it behind one of the other karts over bumbs, etc.... to see how well it holds up. Not very scientific, but I'd rather know early if something's gonna fail and needs attention.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Hahaha, nice job, those look really beefy. Should be a nice bumpy ride :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see this thing going. I was just workin on my 400 yami trike today, tried puttin on some 36mm Mikuni Flatslides...they give too much fuel topend so it bogs WOT. Its fun just to mess around with that kinda stuff

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Its fun just to mess around with that kinda stuff

I agree! Guess what? Besides the irritating little details, this thing is almost a wrap! I have handle bars, belt, chain, controls, and lots of re-welding, sanding painting to do. I haven't priced what the tires will be to mount; shouldn't be too expensive...?
Here it is in all it's "glory"...

...weekend's OVER. Back to work.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
In the 4th pic what are the 3 silver things inbetween the clutch sheaves?Looks like bolts going through?

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
That's the cap bolts going to the stationary sheeve. If you look at the 3rd picture, you'll see the other end of them going through the sprocket/"hub". I'm going to put washers between the two sheeves to just barely keep them apart, which is okay, because I'm running a 1 1/4" belt, instead of the 1 1/8" that the pulley is designed for. (to match the primary clutch on the motor.) It should put the new wider belt right at the top off the pulley. I gotta get a belt to mess with before it's all absolute, though.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Okay, i might be crazy here...but you know that the secondary clutch is supposed to have a spring etc on it and it OPENS when the primary closes to change the ratio right?The secondary isnt just a pulley, its a clutch. wouldnt those bolt heads shred the belt to pieces?

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
No, you're right. On the old shaft the stationary was press-fitted to the shaft, and wouldn't come loose. The shaft was too short, though. So I ground off the rivets holding the stationary sheeve to the press-fit hub, and bolted it onto the sprocket, using the sprocket as the new stationary hub. The helix isn't mounted yet, because I need a shaft 14" long, and the one in the pix barely reaches through the bearings. It'd probably work, but I feel better if there was a little "wiggle room". This shaft served me to help align the bearings, etc.
The old hub was just riveted to the sheeve, so these bolts (same diameter/ stainless steel) should be just as strong, I hope!

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Alright, but it just seems like when the secondary is opened all the way,the belt would be ripped to shreds by those bolt heads...

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
The stationary only opens so far, and you can tell from the old wear patterns that the belt never came close to the rivets, (They stuck out a bit, too.) OR, I've got one H_LL of a surprise coming my way! Stay tuned for a really wild vid! Haha!

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Well i hope it works for ya. If it doesnt, youll know when the belt blows, atleast on the GolfCart it felt/sounded like a grenade going off under the topper rofl...

OH, and, check out the off topic forum, in "crazycarts crap" theres a new lowrider in town..

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
wow thats going to be the coolest thing on the block
Thanks. Most of the 3-wheelers here are of the electric 5mph kind. Just like Crazycart's Golfcart would run rings around EVERYTHING with wheels here.
They still gather with torches and pitchforks when I take the Lowrider 'Classic" for a spin. (Muffler and everything!?...)

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Hi Guys-
Today I just went over all the joints with the welder. (Still looks the same.). It feels a LOT stouter now. I definitely have to get a longer jackshaft, because this one is easily an inch or two too short. (oops) Once I get the shaft, I'll finish off the driven clutch (going to run a 1 3/8" belt) and run the final chain/ tensioner set-up. I want so bad to mount the new tires, but I don't quite have the $$$.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Sorry to bother again, but I started a painting thread elsewhere, and then I jumped back over here.
I was thinking a fun color scheme for this thing would be to paint it to look like something you'd buy from Harbor Freight (jack-stands, engine hoist, wheel-barrow, etc), since at this point it looks more like a HarborFreight utility cart than a custom trike. So I was toying with dull-orange for the frame and the gloss-grey for the wheels, engine, etc.
Just an idea... otherwise, I'm always partial to bright stinking gloss red!

Status
Not open for further replies.