Losing power at full throttle after upgrading to a bigger jet in carb

Snap

Reaction score
Hi guys.. love the karting hobbie but still learning about motors. Hoping someone could help me with this.

I upgraded the jet on my carb to a 130 size and now at full throttle I lose power just for a second and then it comes right back. It does that repeatedly while at full throttle. Motor is a gy6 with no other upgrades.
Thanks!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Sounds like the intermittent cutout of a low oil level sensor. Know why hotrodded small engines always have the low oil sensor removed? It's because hard acceleration or hard angle tilting makes it kill the spark until it senses oil again. Kinda like this....................
at full throttle I lose power just for a second and then it comes right back.
It does that repeatedly while at full throttle.

Snap

Reaction score
Does anyone think it could be the cdi restricting the rev limit. Thinking about buying a dc racing cdi

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I do know if your electrical system is a/c you need an a/c cdi box. If d/c then d/c box will be needed. No mixing and matching.

Snap

Reaction score
Ran great before the jet change , so maybe I'll just put the original back in. But I ordered one a size smaller then the upgrade. Once I receive it I'll install and let you guys know how it works.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Check that spark plug first, see if it's all black and sooty, and if it wipes off with a single swipe of a clean rag. That would indicate it's running too rich, and you may indeed need a smaller jet.

Snap

Reaction score
Spark plug had a little black on it but not that much really. I'm pretty sure it's just too rich cause it kinda like chokes at full throttle. Got my jet a couple days ago but didn't get it installed yet. Will give update when I do.