Live axle advice / 20 hp horizontal shaft motor advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have an old two seat Manco go kart (road style), with a 5 hp briggs, and I am wanting to put a 20hp engine on and put a live axle in. I would appreciate any advice on a good engine or a live axle setup.

Also, in the title I meant horizontal shaft. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well....a 20 hp vertical shaft engine ISN'T a good one....how about we start there?

Welcome to the forum! !!! (We'll talk more later!)

EDIT: And to give you advice on engines....it would help immensely if we knew....just generally, vaugely, what part of this planet you inhabit.....(this IS a worldwide forum) ....and we're not sure a couple of members are even from this planet!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
http://kartfab.com/go-kart-maintenance/go-kart-engine-overview-cheapest-best
The Biggest Boys

These engines are too big for any go kart, are meant for industrial grade work, and push beyond the limits of any transmission meant for a go kart. That’s why we like them, right? These come standard with key-start, and have plenty of amps to run off-road lights. These are perfect for a mini buggy type off road vehicle, or performance golf cart.

Honda V-Twin The GX630 and GX690 range from 20 to 22 hp. Older versions include 610, 620, and 670. I currently own a gx620, which I will be installing on a mini buggy.

Briggs Vanguard V-Twin The 16 hp vanguard is the smallest v-twin, and is really the only v-twin that is safe to use with the 40 series torque converter (which is rated to 18 hp) and the Comet FNR gearbox (which is rated to 16 hp). The briggs vanguard v-twins range all the way up to 35 hp!

22 HP (670cc) V-Twin Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA The newest addition to the V-Twin pool, which is a 22 hp, 670CC engine. True to its history, the predator v-twin 670cc 22 hp engine is cheaper than the industrial honda and briggs v-twin engines, and looks just about as reliable.

Thanks KartFab!

Welcome! Poboy may be referring to me.
When the housing market crashed on Pluto, I moved to Uranus.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Well....a 20 hp vertical shaft engine ISN'T a good one....how about we start there?

Welcome to the forum! !!! (We'll talk more later!)

EDIT: And to give you advice on engines....it would help immensely if we knew....just generally, vaugely, what part of this planet you inhabit.....(this IS a worldwide forum) ....and we're not sure a couple of members are even from this planet!

.......Welcome! Poboy may be referring to me.
When the housing market crashed on Pluto, I moved to Uranus.

Relax Bob; I'm fairly certain he was referring to hi new neighbor..... You know, the one who thinks you can boost an engine by just plumbing the exhaust into the fuel pump or something........ I think that was his last idea....... It's so hard to decipher his stuff.....

Did you miss the fact this is a VERTICAL shaft engine, Bob? .....and keep Uranus to yourself! :roflol:

Easy Doug..... calm down.... take your medication and relax...... :roflol:

Oh, and for the record, the OP never stated that it was a vertical shaft motor, only that he wanted 20hp or so..... :oops: :oops:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Apparently, neither one of you read the TITLE? Jeeze....online...sometimes you have to read between the lines....you guys aren't even reading THE lines....it's obvious he has access to a 20 hp VERTICAL shaft engine!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy Doug..... calm down.... take your medication and relax...... :roflol:

Oh, and for the record, the OP never stated that it was a vertical shaft motor, only that he wanted 20hp or so..... :oops: :oops:

Pat, check the topic of this thread ;)
He cleary said " 20 hp verticle shaft motor advice"
So yeah he did kindof :D

And that being said.. Doug's right.. a vertical shaft engine isn't the best option out there.

'sid

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Apparently, neither one of you read the TITLE? Jeeze....online...sometimes you have to read between the lines....you guys aren't even reading THE lines....it's obvious he has access to a 20 hp VERTICAL shaft engine!

Busted. You got me on the vertical shaft! But I still offer Kartfab's info as healthy alternatives for a 20HP Horizontal Shaft engine if you insist on racing on floors as opposed to walls.

Why did you WANT to run a vertical shaft if you don't have the engine yet?

Check out this Thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4766

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Didn't someone do a build with a ring and pinion final drive? That's a simple solution to a vertical shaft, at least in theory. Actually doing it is for grown-ups.

Reaction score
I know 20 hp is to much. I am from rural Illinois. Is there some sort of lightweight tranny that could hold 20 hp and would also fit on a go kart? I don't mind paying a little extra for a more expensive clutch. Also, does anyone have advise on a live axle setup?

machinist@large

Reaction score
I know 20 hp is to much. I am from rural Illinois. Is there some sort of lightweight tranny that could hold 20 hp and would also fit on a go kart? I don't mind paying a little extra for a more expensive clutch. Also, does anyone have advise on a live axle setup?

:idea2: :idea2: T5KO out of a Camaro or Mustang for the trans, and a GM corporate 14 bolt rear for the axle. I guarantee that you won't have any issues with breakage with that combo..... :devil2: :devil2: :bannana:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
That would be a two stroke engine!

Next step up is a heavily modified 5-6.5 4 stroke engine ....yes ...you can get there....5 hp Briggs are commonly modified to reach 50 hp on Jr. Dragsters. How deep are your pockets, and what is the obsession with 20 hp all about?

Reaction score
I just wanted to get into the neighborhood of 20. What type of mods do they do? I am not wanting to spend more than 1K total on engines and mods.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Wait you have a Grand to spend on a motor?
Then go buy a *****en 20Hp motor.
Or ask Desertduler to build you one. 1000 dollars should easily get you 20HP.
In a thousand different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.