Lime Limo Go Kart Restoration Complete!!

callanrustad

Reaction score
This go kart was build (most likely) in the 70s and is a sears 2 seater Lime Limo. It came with a Briggs 4hp engine that was old, so of course with the restoration that had to go. Here are some photos before we did work on it.

We completely took apart the kart, sandblasted the frame, and then had it powdercoated in a reflective green paint similar to the original color and then powder coated in clear. we kept the steering wheel, pedals, rear axle, brakes, and wheels. We cleaned everything, grinded rust and paint off of the pedals, and then primed, painted, and clear coated. We got all new bolts and linkages for steering, got new springs for pedals and brakes, and got new tires and tubes. We decided to keep the one wheel wonder drive type instead of having a rear live axle. We put on a Briggs and Stratton CR950 6.5HP engine. We spent the money and got a more reliable, better built, and more expensive engine than a cheap predator 212. :ack2: (Unlike Most Other Go Kart Fanatics)

We have a 12 tooth gopowersports clutch and the standard #35 chain. Here are the final result photos.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
This go kart was build (most likely) in the 70s and is a sears 2 seater Lime Limo. It came with a Briggs 4hp engine that was old, so of course with the restoration that had to go. Here are some photos before we did work on it.

We completely took apart the kart, sandblasted the frame, and then had it powdercoated in a reflective green paint similar to the original color and then powder coated in clear. we kept the steering wheel, pedals, rear axle, brakes, and wheels. We cleaned everything, grinded rust and paint off of the pedals, and then primed, painted, and clear coated. We got all new bolts and linkages for steering, got new springs for pedals and brakes, and got new tires and tubes. We decided to keep the one wheel wonder drive type instead of having a rear live axle. We put on a Briggs and Stratton CR950 6.5HP engine. Instead of doing what everyone else does on this forum we spend the money and got a more reliable, better built, and more expensive engine than a cheap predator 212. :ack2:

We have a 12 tooth gopowersports clutch and the standard #35 chain. Here are the final result photos.

Nice 1st post bashing/humble brag there :rolleyes:

By the way pictures don't work. :popcorn:

ETA spelling error oops

Last edited:

callanrustad

Reaction score
What is your gearing like?

Nice kart!
Thanks! We have a 12 tooth GoPowerSports Clutch and a 60 tooth rear sprocket so a 5:1 Ratio. I am open to recommendations if you think it would be better with a different clutch, but so far it goes at least 30 with warm tires and has pretty fast acceleration.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

What color green is that? I like it

Looks like the toe is out a lot, it will wear your tires down quick

The Powder Coating is called "Candy Apple Green" It is sometimes used on motorcycles and we thought it would look neat. In the bright sun it has a metallic glare which kind of "sparkles" in the light. I am glad you like it!

I just realized the toe looks like that in the photo, but we have adjusted the linkages and we got it pretty centered. We haven't had any problems with the tires wearing, and surprisingly it has been driven a ton recently with no major signs of wear on this set of tires

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! We have a 12 tooth GoPowerSports Clutch and a 60 tooth rear sprocket so a 5:1 Ratio. I am open to recommendations if you think it would be better with a different clutch, but so far it goes at least 30 with warm tires and has pretty fast acceleration.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

The Powder Coating is called "Candy Apple Green" It is sometimes used on motorcycles and we thought it would look neat. In the bright sun it has a metallic glare which kind of "sparkles" in the light. I am glad you like it!

I just realized the toe looks like that in the photo, but we have adjusted the linkages and we got it pretty centered. We haven't had any problems with the tires wearing, and surprisingly it has been driven a ton recently with no major signs of wear on this set of tires

If you are happy with the gearing...thats all that matters :thumbsup:

dsiek

Reaction score
Great Resto! This on caught my eye because I have a very similar Kart from my childhood that I am about to restore for my two boys to enjoy. The one I have was built in the early 80's. It is a Manco Green Machine. Essentially the same kart as yours but it has a live axle and a friction brake. The Torque-A-Verter was added in the late 90's.
IMG_2031.jpgIMG_2029.jpg

KathyChat

Reaction score
This was so awesome to see your progress and the final result! I'm making new seat cushions for my Lime Limo, getting it ready for the next generation of riders! The engine was replaced a few years ago and it is even a little faster than before.

Limelimo1978

Reaction score
Does anyone know of the best source to find these for sale restored? I would LOVE to find a fully restored Lime Limo and the original drive train

take my money please 😊
I had the lime limo as a child and my friend had the orange krate

of course I found an orange krate in brand new condition I mean amazing condition and it even has the original Techumse engine w/ 3.5 HP (the sears karts were all this engine however they had ONE that you could buy with a 5 HP engine but I do not recall that engine’s brand as I never actually saw one in person

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Orange Krates had an optional 5hp also. If you want a restored Lime Limo your going to have to find one and do it yourself most likely.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Does anyone know of the best source to find these for sale restored? I would LOVE to find a fully restored Lime Limo and the original drive train

take my money please 😊
I had the lime limo as a child and my friend had the orange krate

of course I found an orange krate in brand new condition I mean amazing condition and it even has the original Techumse engine w/ 3.5 HP (the sears karts were all this engine however they had ONE that you could buy with a 5 HP engine but I do not recall that engine’s brand as I never actually saw one in person
Unfortunately, it is very difficult. Check Ebay, local and state wide auctions (maybe even automotive), classified ads, Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace. Make sure every friend you have knows you want one. Take it in any condition, most likely you'll have to restore it yourself but there are (very few) shops that have restored go karts.