Lights

Robert.jones10

Reaction score
I am working on getting stuff together to get an old Yerfdog back up and running. We plan on using the Predator 212 and my Dad says that it is not set up to be able to put electricity out to wire lights up.

Is there a way to set it up with additional parts so that it will generate electricity so we can put lights on it? Maybe not even using a battery, just so the lights work when it is running?

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
:welcome2:

You dad is correct! There is no light or charge circuit on your engine unfortunately, truth be told the cheapest and easiest way would be to install a standalone lighting system using a small battery (a lawn tractor or atv battery would work well), some wiring, connectors, a fuse, a switch and of course some lights (LED would be best). The only downfall is you will need to charge the battery occasionally.

I'm pretty sure it IS possible to convert it to have a light circuit but you'd need to find a flywheel (Kohler I believe) and a light coil then tear into the engine to install it all.

I installed a standalone system in a couple hours once I had all the materials on hand and it works perfectly, what's nice about it is I don't need to rely on the motor running for it to work!

anickode

Reaction score
Battery powered is the way to go, IMO. You can get LED work lights for mounting on trucks and such that are nice low current draw and plenty bright for a go kart. Most of them will operate on 12-24v, so it really leaves you a lot of options for batteries. For instance, if you have cordless power tools, you can go buy whatever the cheapest accessory is (usually a flashlight or something), hack it up for the battery connector and mount said connector to the kart so all you have to do is click a battery on and go. No need to mess with hooking battery chargers to your kart or anything like that.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Heres an example showing a li-ion 18v power tool battery with an off-road LED light. The light is rated for 12-24v, so it worked fine with the power tool battery.

Just make sure the connections are solid and be sure to strap the battery so it does not jump around.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Slaproc

Reaction score
I was looking at something like this for a couple of days when I was going to get the 212cc Predator for my Yerf Dog rebuild. Then I decided that I wanted a key start. The key start set up comes with the flywheel w/magnets and charging coil. I found a key start add on for the Predator for about 100 bucks. That would put the total motor cost at around $220. Then I found a DuroMax 196cc engine that already comes with a key start. Ordered from maxtools.com and it was $220 no tax and free shipping. It's just like the Predator except blue instead of red. Anyway, now I'll hook my lights up directy to the battery and the motor should keep the battery charged.

Ebay item # 254468631635 is just a charging flywheel and coil for the Predator for about 60 bucks if you want to just go that route. It should be enough to run lights.

Below is the engine I bought:
http://www.maxtool.com/products/dur...-electric-start-horizontal-gas-powered-engine

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
This is what I did on one minibike...

This light was $8 shipped.
1pc 27W Round LED Flood Work Light Bar Offroad Driving Fog Lamp ATV Boat 4x4
2.25 Amps at 12V

This battery was $30 shipped. Should power my 27 watt light for a few hours.
Talentcell Rechargeable 6000mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip And CCTV Camera,12V DC Portable Lithium Ion Battery Bank With Charger,Black
12V DC Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery, 6000 mAh High Capacity.
Compatible with any LED strip light products, CCTV Camera, IP Camera , LED Panel, Amplifier, Modem, Celestron NexStar, Speaker, etc.
TalentCell Lithium-ion Battery Pack also runs robotic telescopes fine.
Wall plug 12.6V 1A Charger and DC 1 Female to 2 Male Power Splitter Cable are included.
The battery measures 5.5" x 3.5" x 1". The output is rated to 3 amps.

These pigtail things were $2 for 10
10pcs DC 5.5 x 2.1mm Power Male Jack Adapter Cable Plug Connector for CCTV / LED

The speaker wire was $13 for 100'
100ft In Wall 18 / 2 18 AWG Gauge 2 Conductor Speaker Wire Cable CL2 Bulk 100'

Does everything need a fuse?
I got these 3amp AGC 6 x 30mm fuses and these inline AGC fuse holders.
5 PACK 3 AMP AGC FUSE FUSES NICKEL PLATED GLASS FAST BLOW 1 1/4-1/4 INLINE AGC3
10 pcs AGC 6x30mm Fuse Holder Case In-Line Screw type with Wire Cable US Stock

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 4.14.16 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 4.14.16 PM.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2