Lawn mower gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just wanted to stop by and ask what are some common lawn mower geAr ratios. I tried coming up sith some myself but i coulndt understand it. I originaly thought i would use a 8 inch pulley for the engine, a slap a 5 inch on the transaxel. If i did that i would get 17mph with 18 inch tires. But, being that i have the redneck in me, i still wana go faster. so, does anyone have any good ratios that would provide at least 25mph? im only looking at 6th gear(7:1) right now siply beacause its the olny one that provides and real speed. The rest of the gears are at like 11:1 to 32:1

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I think your ratios are off, or your math is defective. People RACE with prepped, factory transaxles. If you have an 8" on the engine, and 4 or 5" on the tranny input, you're going to go a he// of a lot faster than 17Mph. And yes, you'd better be addressing some safety issues. Mowers do not roll off the assembly line, engineered to withstand those speeds. Have you SEEN the cheezy C-clips that hold your wheels on, or actually examined the steering components? No funkin' way...

Status
Not open for further replies.