Latest Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just deleted a ton of spam.. Unfortunately, a lot of it looks automated. This is bad because it might not stop soon. We'll keep deleting it until they get the picture!

Thanks

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Thanks Robert for keeping up the good work of deleting this stuff! The normall spam was not as bad as this new spam!!!

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We can IP ban, but it's often not that effective. And these last ones come from at least 2 different top level areas. One from Latvia, another from somewhere I can't figure out.

We'll see what happens..

572bigblock

Reaction score
I dont understand spam. I know they are random computer generated messages, but whats the purpose? To get people to click on their links? To annoy people?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Robert (aka fearless leader):

Perhaps the way to stop it would be to put new posters on some kind of probation period (automated?).
That is, 'newbies' would have to have a waiting period until their posts can be screened/reviewed before release to the forum.
Once this 'newbie' is determined to be legitimate, after 5 posts for example, he/she could just post like the rest of us.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Yea really, I have belonged to a good 10 forums at one point or another, my favorite of all time is probably the spudtech.com forums. sadly closed due to spam and other misc BS. Had an atmosphere similar to this place, real professional and BS was never tolerated, mods would tear a idiot a new :censored: faster than I can type.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I agree with the probation thing, another site I'm on (mp3car.com) does this, but it's kind of annoying for those of us who are legit.

Sorry I wasn't around earlier to do anything about the spam. I haven't been on the desk at work lately.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing I hate about the "probation" idea is that it's another reason for someone that lurks around to not ever post.

Good news: no more spams after the earlier deletions.

But on the probation idea: what's the method? Like the first post must be moderated / accepted?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it could be done. Just something I thought I'd throw out there.
What concerns me is the fact that there are a lot of "guests" at any given time. I'm guessing that most are minors. I can envision some legal issues that may arise.
I know for a fact that my kids look in on this forum just to see what dad is up to. Son is 8 and daughter is just 16.
I don't want to expose them to this "Stuff".
Clearly, some attempt has to made to put a stop to it.
It's rare for me to log in as early as I did today. Needless to say, I was shocked at what greeted me on first click.
What really bothered me was that there was nothing I could do about it.
I shot off PM's to Robert and Kibble. Problem is, if you guys are not on-line, PM will go unanswered for who knows how long. In that time, exposure to this crap goes on unchecked.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anybody.
This is one of the best forums of it's kind on the web and every attempt should be made to keep it that way. I'm glad to be (at the very least) a small part of it.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
We're working on something at the moment to hopefully help deter slow or stop the posting of spam messages such as those. I agree that if I had kids, I wouldn't want them to be seeing that kind of stuff. (Oscar, don't you DARE click on that thread! :roflol: )

572bigblock

Reaction score
Robert (aka fearless leader):

Perhaps the way to stop it would be to put new posters on some kind of probation period (automated?).
That is, 'newbies' would have to have a waiting period until their posts can be screened/reviewed before release to the forum.
Once this 'newbie' is determined to be legitimate, after 5 posts for example, he/she could just post like the rest of us.

On some yahoo forums you have to submit a little bit of information about your self, your hobbies, why you should be a member, ect. when you sign up to be a member. And the administrator reads them and turns down anyone he/she wants. This might help eliminate automated spam. I dont know if something like that could be set up for this forum or not

Mike

Reaction score
Usually the spammers are bots, but every once in a while, it is actually a person. Spam bots crawl the web looking for websites, register, and post spam. Spam bots process data, they do not think. This is why they beat captcha image verification.

How do you beat the spammers? You have to be proactive, and not reactive. I got proactive on my sites. I have not had a spam bot on any of my sites in over 4 months! I have measures(different from captcha) in place that prevent them from registering. Keep the door closed so they can not register, and you beat the spammers!

I do not post my solutions on what I do to prevent them in forums, because I believe there are programmers who read these forums and reprogram the bots to beat the fixes. I will share how I beat them in a private message or on msn, as long as the information I share does not get posted on any other site!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.