Kohler Command Pro 14

Mud_motor_Brandon

Reaction score
Hey,
New here to the forum Im looking for some help with an engine I used to repower a go-devil longtail boat motor. Its not a go kart but figured I could still get some help! What I have is a Kohler CH440-3018 it has the 2:1 gear reduction on it. I need to remove the governor. Is it possible to remove the governor? Will parts from the 420cc predator fit this engine like a Minkuni carb and a 308 cam? I cant find anyone whos modified these CH440 engines.

Attachments

• Snapchat-760186730.jpg
    Snapchat-760186730.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220927-074013_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220927-074013_Snapchat.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 6

Mud_motor_Brandon

Reaction score
If it was me I would remove the gear reduction.
I figured id like the gear reduction for the extra torque supposed to put it at 22ft/lbs of torque which is nice for my application. The engine from Go-devil was a gx270 with a 2:1 reduction. Its a beast when i manually overide the governor.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The only caution would be the prop tips reaching critical speed. I don’t know to much about the Kohler engines except they make toilets and bath tubs too. Yup same company! Now that the jokes are out of the way what you have on the side of the engine is a wet clutch with a 2-1 reduction. No you can’t get rid of it. What you would have to do is remove the wet clutch assembly from the side then remove the side cover. Remove the valve cover and pushrods and note the lash caps. Then completely remove the governor assembly and plastic gear and washers. Then reassemble.