Kids Kart Width?

Pinhead

Reaction score
I've got an old lawnmower frame and am considering "converting" it to a go kart for my kids (oldest is 4 currently).

I don't want it to go much over 10 mph and was thinking of using a weed-eater engine for power.

My question is, how wide should it be to prevent tipping? It's pretty tough to flip by hand as-is and I'll be keeping the seat and engine as close/low to the frame as possible which should help.

Mock-up pic for attention.

Attachments

• 20211211_145624.jpg
    20211211_145624.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Don’t use the crazy car either. Build a dedicated kart. Weed eater engine might not have enough power to move it. Try the 79cc Predator and gear low for slow!

Pinhead

Reaction score
Don’t use the crazy car either. Build a dedicated kart. Weed eater engine might not have enough power to move it. Try the 79cc Predator and gear low for slow!
I plan on using the little car basically as a seat with a dedicated/built frame beneath it.

I found highly-rated 49cc 2-stroke with built-in clutch and 3:1 gear reduction. Seems like it should have plenty of power for my needs (and half the price of the Predator).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXHZKLF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_52SEYAHCGNPQ7PTMT0ZK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Try it, it may work. But build it light. I still would not use the crazy car though. Not enough support in the seat in the event of a crash.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
sounds like you are already mind set on getting 2 stroke. but for kids? going to be loud. i made a scooter trike one with leaf blower motor. was soooooo loud. i would not expect the kids to like that. maybe fire up the weed eater next to the 4 year old and test the reaction first. my guess is they are not going to like it at all. Be ready to run after them. Might be good to just go electric. 10mph isn't that hard to do and super quiet.IMAG4871.jpg

That being said scooter trike was super fun to ride if i could keep the motor engaged. would like to redo with clutch some day. This is direct motor shaft to wheel drive ;) used the old power your bike trick.

Pinhead

Reaction score
sounds like you are already mind set on getting 2 stroke. but for kids? going to be loud. i made a scooter trike one with leaf blower motor. was soooooo loud. i would not expect the kids to like that. maybe fire up the weed eater next to the 4 year old and test the reaction first. my guess is they are not going to like it at all. Be ready to run after them. Might be good to just go electric. 10mph isn't that hard to do and super quiet.View attachment 130783

That being said scooter trike was super fun to ride if i could keep the motor engaged. would like to redo with clutch some day. This is direct motor shaft to wheel drive ;) used the old power your bike trick.
Not necessarily. But I ain't rich and 2-strokes are cheap.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
HF Predator can be had for $100. or find a used lawn edger motor.

But yah motors aren't cheap. but it is the powerhouse of the go kart so it should be the most expensive part.

Just pick up some ear protection for the kids.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
To your original question. This is just my opinion. If it is a 2 seater not over 4’ wide to the outside of the tires. If it is a 1 seater not over 3’ wide to the outside of the tires.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
For kids to operate, and learn how as they go, I can imagine them learning to fill the gas tank when Daddy isn't handy to do it. At that point I'd get very concerned about the need for 50:1 premix 2-cycle oil in the gas, as opposed to the simplicity of a 4-cycle engine not needing anything in the fuel tank but gas.

Pinhead

Reaction score
For kids to operate, and learn how as they go, I can imagine them learning to fill the gas tank when Daddy isn't handy to do it. At that point I'd get very concerned about the need for 50:1 premix 2-cycle oil in the gas, as opposed to the simplicity of a 4-cycle engine not needing anything in the fuel tank but gas
These ain't city kids. My 2-year old boy already knows the weed-eater and chainsaw needs 2-stroke oil. ;) They're not going to be messing with gas for a long time, anyway (years, more than likely).

Attachments

• Crazy Kart 1.jpg
    Crazy Kart 1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8

Willie1

Reaction score
Consider using a longer, like 36" fully keyed axle to start with, and retain the wheels/hubs with lock collars. This wide of a track width will give the kart stability to start with. As their ability improves you can cut the axle down, and slide the wheels/hubs in to a "sportier" track width.