• try and buy a racing frame and build from there

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kazkepox

Pro- one idea to the next
Reaction score
ok so im tired of jumping from idea to idea and I want to get started now that I have some money and I will have about 500$ budget once everything comes in. here is my situation, I really wanted to find a racing go kart frame and use a vanguard as my power source, but around here there is nowhere to race, so not much of a market for racing karts, also they are pretty expensive unless you get lucky, also, I live in a redneck neck of the woods so its more dirt than asphalt for me, but I am more interested in building something to take to car shows and stuff so here are my options, I will let you guys decide which is best, and that will affect the outcome of my decision.

newrider3

Reaction score
Full suspension rig with street tread or atv supermoto tires. Best of both worlds. You can always add cool custom touches to make it stand out at a show.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
i have yet to see anything you have built, so I'm gonna say get yourself an off road frame and an engine and put that together with some small custom mods (paint, engine mods, maybe side panels, etc) and like Newrider said, just toss some turf savers or something on it for street use.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Do you have a chop saw, angle grinder, drill press, and all the other basic tools to make a go kart? do you know how to weld? do you know anything about geometry, frame bracing, steering geometry (ackerman, caster, camber, toe, KPI, bump steer etc)? Suspension setup, gear ratios, fabrication? I think modifying a go kart would make for a much more enjoyable first project. The second link looks way out of your league in price, and almost every other aspect of it, its a lot more complicated than you would imagine. The first link doesn't look incredibly hard to build or anything, but like i said modifying a go kart might be a better plan for you.

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
Or he build the modern mechanix kart doesnt seem incredibly hard and he would learn from it. Drill press he can do without if he has a normal drill even though the drill press would make it easier.

kazkepox

Reaction score
i got everything except drill press, I know how to weld, my dad knows how to weld, my uncle welds for a living, I know the geometry's of a go kart and bracing...-.- and the mechanix kart sounds like an idea...

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Try a racing mower and build a track and also bring it to car shows people love racin mowers if you do it right. Its a really simple build... lower frame race prep new steering and a pully swap also new shiny paint and billet lots of billleeeeetttttt.......

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
And just to test ya whats is ankerman what is camber what is caster and what is spindle caster?

kazkepox

Reaction score
camber has to do with the way your wheels are positioned, like / or \ caster is hard for me to explain but i know what it is, ankerman ha to do with when you turn your inside wheel turns more than the outside wheel blah blah ans spindle caster i suppose has to do with the way the spindle is positioned

Status
Not open for further replies.