Is this really worth $650 as-is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerft85

Reaction score
00x0x_k5eN0rjHWEl_600x450.jpg

Local Craigslist ad, he is asking $650, unidentified and "unmolested" according to the seller claims it's from the 60's. Seller says they will trade for items they forgot to list and so on.

To me, the paint, lack of decals, the plates on the sides of the seats and the fact that there is nothing but a frame tell me it's been molested, has nothing left original to it, and I think high hopes are involved.

What are your thoughts?

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Well, I'd say that in my less than professional opinion, it's way over priced. I'm not sure where you are, but I once picked up three frames (2 mancos and 1 carter), one with tires and an engine the rest bare, for $300. Lets see what others think, but personally, I wouldn't pay more than $200, even if is from the 60s.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that rear end reminds me of a BlackHawk (the Blackhawk chief had a very similar rear)
and the front with that loopaloopy bumper kinda reminds me of a Trackmaster..
that slammed steering is kinda reminding me of an Evans or a Fox GoBoy

All the named above are indeed 60s Karts
so if it's indeed unmolested (apart from the ugly dullblack paint that is)
it might be indeed some 60s Kart *shrugs*

BUT without provenience it's certainly overpriced
if seller can provide SOME legit documentation (an old photo with the kart still complete)
a verifiable make/model at least...
maybe to a collector that is after finding exactly that kart.
otherwise.. 250-300 maybe at best. (if he can name make and model and it's indeed something raceworthy)

650 if he as a full roller [with steeringwheel and brakes]..
maybe even more if the original engine and seat padding is still available

'sid

Smerft85

Reaction score
I contacted the seller to see if he was flexible on price, it is the same guy that had a mini bike in similar condition posted for $700 and swore up and down it was rare, but didn't know what it was either, he said he would drop $50 off his price, but has nothing else for it. I gave him my list of reasons to why it was only worth maybe $200 and he immediately got angry, calling me a troll ect. Some people want something for nothing I guess. Thanks for all the replies, wanted to make sure I wasn't nuts!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the follow-up you had with the seller. That's an, uhhh, amazing attitude he has [everyone thinks their stuff is GOLD], but craigslist, Letgo, Offerup and all the rest charge no fee for listing so sellers are not at all motivated to sell their stuff quickly and with a reasonable price.

They can just renew it after 30 days over and over again until they find a sucker who will believe their hype and buy it at the listed price.

I bet these free listing services were great during the first 6-12 months after they made their debut, but the flakes and con artists have taken over. :worried2:

:furious2:

Jet Provost

Reaction score
View attachment 113003

Local Craigslist ad, he is asking $650, unidentified and "unmolested" according to the seller claims it's from the 60's. Seller says they will trade for items they forgot to list and so on.

To me, the paint, lack of decals, the plates on the sides of the seats and the fact that there is nothing but a frame tell me it's been molested, has nothing left original to it, and I think high hopes are involved.

What are your thoughts?

If Elvis owned it

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
You kidding, I wouldn't pay that much if Hendrix owned it. And yeah, I see some Baja minibikes around here that people are asking $450 for, that are stripped down (no fenders or tank) with predators. That's $100 ish off the price of a new Massimo mb200 (same as a baja, but new).

Jet Provost

Reaction score
Old stuff is crazy. I have a couple Schwinn Krates that I felt way stupid paying $1200 each for. Some now are pushing above $3000. Nuts. Nostalgia is not cheap.

Attachments

• schwinn krate 3.jpg
    schwinn krate 3.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 4

Smerft85

Reaction score
Old stuff is crazy. I have a couple Schwinn Krates that I felt way stupid paying $1200 each for. Some now are pushing above $3000. Nuts. Nostalgia is not cheap.

Agreed, if it's the proper items. But it seems that folks around here have something old and adding the word "vintage" is an automatic increase in price of at least $200. The get all bent out of shape when you prove to them the true monetary value of their items too, even with proof they will explode uncontrollably explaining why theirs is "special".

onionfmr

Reaction score
I contacted the seller to see if he was flexible on price, it is the same guy that had a mini bike in similar condition posted for $700 and swore up and down it was rare, but didn't know what it was either, he said he would drop $50 off his price, but has nothing else for it. I gave him my list of reasons to why it was only worth maybe $200 and he immediately got angry, calling me a troll ect. Some people want something for nothing I guess. Thanks for all the replies, wanted to make sure I wasn't nuts!

$600 for that kart frame is crazy! I just bought a Rupp Lancer GT vintage racing kart a week or so ago. If interested, you can see pictures in my recent posting. You should be able to get a lot more kart than that for $600. However, I'll tell you chasing down period correct or original parts for these old 60's karts can get quite expensive. I have what I believe is an original seat in the kart, Don't really know for sure. Guy offered me $285 for it. Correct engine mounting plates can run from $125 to $350 including bearings and mounting hardware with rubber isolation mounting. Correct 1" axles $100. You can get alternative parts for a lot less money. Your choice.

I saw a 60's vintage racing kart the other day for $350. The dual engine mounting plates, turbine wheels, steering wheel, axle and sprockets were easily worth $450 to $500, forget the frame. Was sold in one day.

Good luck with your search!

Status
Not open for further replies.