Is this for real?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That looks like a blast! I’d do that in a heartbeat! Thank you for the compliment. Nut case is the nicest thing I have been called all week!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That looks like a riot!! The way the rear tires were digging at the ice they had to be studded. They drag race on the ice with cars, why wouldn’t that be real?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Not being a snowbird, I know very little about driving on ice. Wait a minute. We did have an ice storm (thunderstorm rains while in single digit temp.) back in the early 90's (N. E. Florida), and I did great, even had a lot of fun. Ran heater service calls for 72 hours straight, sleeping a few minutes now and then behind the wheel.
So anyway, the question is that if studded tires will grip for ice racing 1/8 mile tracks, what about the knobbiest offroad gokart knobbies instead? Would they have any grip at all? The fun for me in the ice storm was powersliding all over the place on purpose, but still able to go wherever I wanted, just crossing it up for fun. I prefer looking out of the side windows to drive. Toyota pickup overweight with sideboxes, running on street tires.
So could you get traction on a gokart enough to drive, break traction enough for fun, and successfully use my Tallahassee hillbilly Kooks Of Gizzard dirt driving experience in various Generalys for the ice? I've run 105mph on hard clay many times. (Celica ST in the mid 70's.)

Master Hack

Reaction score
Here in the Pacific Northwest snow/ ice happens every winter. The valleys only get occasionaly and it usually only lasts a day ot two. If ya need to go over the mountains its another story. Knobby tires work OK if its just snow, but once it turns to ice nothing works but chains or studs. Studs are legal here in the winter months.
its hilarious when it snows, cuz these clowns have no clue! When it snows, a lot of people take shelter in the closest ditch. When l was younger l made good money pulling cars out of ditches. A guy could pocket $500 -$1000 a day, all cash! All that was needed was a heavy pickup and a winch.
l agree, it can be fun in the slick conditions, if ya can find a place with nobody around.
most of the time ya need to be on gaurd, cuz that moron heading at you sideways has no clue what to do but stand on the brakes!
105? Amature!!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Here in the mid west it’s no better. People go stupid over the summer. I learned to drive in the ice and snow. It’s always been second nature to me. Made decent money with my 71 M35A2 6x6 US Army truck.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Friends all have 4x4 trucks. Pretty much guarentee that they get people out of ditches every storm (Northeast Ohio)

And Knobbie tires suck on ice (on light vehicles ie gokarts)

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Knobby tires work OK if its just snow, but once it turns to ice nothing works but chains or studs.
And Knobbie tires suck on ice (on light vehicles ie gokarts)
Looks like knobbies aren't dual purpose, but would be hilarious in a K-Mart parking lot at 0600 in the morning. (Had that experience in a '99 Eldorado that would do 150mph where there's no ice, playing in the first snow in Albany, New York visiting girlfriend.)
So I no longer envy y'all up there in the ice flats, too old to trade toasty warm for frosty cold. I guess our 1/2" of ice on every road doesn't scare those studs with experience on tire studs.
Funny side: You ought to see a Jacksonville clown in a little light Datsun pickup in an ice storm................He put one wheel off of the 2-lane road into the dirt and floored it. Thought he was doing something as he crept forward past the traffic. It was his wheel on the ice that was spinning, and the only reason he was moving was because he was melting the ice as he went. Ever seen a tire smoking on ice?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
We’re not allowed to use chains or studs in Indiana. That stuff has been outlawed since 1975 up here. Only a few states mostly out west can you get away with that.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Jeeps got 35x12.5 Maxxis buckshot mudders on it, those did pretty good the one snow storm we had. I guess enough knobby tire there.