Is the ignition and the gas cap key the same on a 1985 vf750 honda interceptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to be able to start this bike before I get into tearing it apart. I got it from from my brother after he got it from a guy that wrecked it. BTW he lost the title, and threw the key in a lake near where he wrecked it. IDIOT!
Anyway, I assume you can still get a key made from the numbers on the Ignition switch but do they also work on the gas tank and helmet lock?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yep- one key. Hey wait... The odds are stacked, BUT-

Give me the numbers. I will check my keys. If it matches, I'll mail it to you, n/c.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
LOL, I just went out and checked it over, what I didn't find was an ignition switch. And the front master cylinder is missing. when I took the tank off, It was filled with rust, so bad the the fuel gauge mechanism was rusted solid.
I will prolly sell this one for parts and find a cheap ATV engine with reverse to power a project. Between the very likely carb problems and this, I will go broke before it will even get started.
I will add some pics for you to see.

Attachments

• 130317_0005.jpg
    130317_0005.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 130317_0006.jpg
    130317_0006.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 130317_0002.jpg
    130317_0002.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 130317_0007.jpg
    130317_0007.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2
  • 130317_0001.jpg
    130317_0001.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 4

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking its A lost cause for A budget anything ATM.
Whats your opinion?

And Thanks for the offer, but cant use it now.

But if you need anything off it, I will give you first dibs.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Pity... But I see you reached the exact conclusion I did. Reverse and all. The project I had planned was more of a UTV than kart or buggy. Since duties would call for towing and hauling stuff around, no reverse began to sound like a real problem. Add in the above mentioned repair costs, and... screw it.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Yep, I agree. reverse will be a huge advantage on a project like this. And if you need any parts from this bike, you have first dibs.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I certainly appreciate it. If anything, it would be the carb diaphragms. But, yours are likely just as shot as mine. No worries- like I said, I completely flushed the concept. You might be able to make use of a few things, though. For example, I used the complete rear brake system on my race tractor project. It's good to go, (or STOP as the case may be) once I get new pads...

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Good Idea, the rear brakes are all there, just a little stiff from lack of use. And the rotors and pads are still good front and back, just need to check the front caliper for function. and could definately use the swing arm shock, spockets and chain.
I will check the diaphragms, if they are ok, I will send them to you n/c.

And thanks, I will just sell the rest for parts, or an engine to power a project.
BTW, I'll be working out of state for a few weeks so may not get on the forums as often after Tuesday, so have fun. And see ya later.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Well, be safe, and see you when you return!

*It's been awhile since I examined the bike, but IIRC, they have dual front brakes. LOTS of parts for the DIY-guy!

re: diaphragms- Thanks!

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Yep duals, hope i can use them on my project.
I would use a solid axle rear swing arm for more stability, and A arm front end, so front and rear breaks would be a bonus on a UTV.
and no prob about the diaphragms.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Beauty- you'll have to keep me posted on the state of your build plans when you reach that point. For now, (regardless of what I end up doing with the engine) I still have the bulk of the bike available for parts. Let me know if you need any sundries. I still haven't touched the front brakes, and several other components. If you (or I) do build a UTV, the two SMALL radiators and fans might be a better option for whatever ATV engine is used.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
As far as I know now, all I would need is another master cylinder for the front breaks until I find another engine. But those are cheap and easy to find around here. so, I'll see what I need as I go. And I will make a post when I start it, so you can keep in touch.
And Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.