If your gonna be dumb you better be tuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-cyborg

Reaction score
Last edited:

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I can't find it but there's a vid of a dude who got seriously tore up even with a roll cage.

Bottom line: never jump a go-kart

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yup. Tell Charles Darwin I said, "Hi!".

Every now and then I go on Youtube and look for crashes, jumps, etc., and just marvel at the idiots.

Bottom line, you really have to have a good idea of what you're doing when making a jump, and a lot of folks, well- DON'T!

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
I've jumped cars before and those landings weren't exactly smooth, I'd hate to jump something with no suspension(let alone a solid seat!), you'd just about break your spine.

Jumping cars is one of the best feeling though, for that half a second everything is weightless and it (this is going to sound ridiculous) really does all go in slow motion.

Keep your foot on the accelerator though, do not brake! I expect braking (or letting off the gas) is what caused a lot of those crashes. As soon as you brake, the nose dives for the ground. It's a gyroscopic thing.

JHen

Reaction score
If they would have had a landing ramp that would have met the angle they were coming down at,they would have been ok. That's the problem though, noobs don't think of what to do past the take off.

fowler

Reaction score
i wish i had cars to jump

acctually i wish we had hills

aint u sopose to hit the gas just before the back wheels leave the ramp

i think there was a thread about this a while ago
somthing about how quite simply leaning a pieice of wood on some bricks is deistinded to fail no matter what

also if u jump by the time the front end is off the jump and going down the back end is still rising as it contious up the jump

surey what sideways was jumping would not have been home made jumps more like creak beds and and random hills so it would have been set at a better angle

Badot

Reaction score

also if u jump by the time the front end is off the jump and going down the back end is still rising as it contious up the jump

Yep... if you gun it with the back wheels still on the ramp, while the direction the ramp is pointing below the COG of the car/kart (assuming it's rear wheel drive) it'll torque the whole car backwards and help prevent a nosedive.

At least some of them are wearing helmets... although that doesn't negate the stupidity.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
i wish i had cars to jump

acctually i wish we had hills

i think there was a thread about this a while ago
somthing about how quite simply leaning a pieice of wood on some bricks is deistinded to fail no matter what

surey what sideways was jumping would not have been home made jumps more like creak beds and and random hills so it would have been set at a better angle

You shoulda got that Mitsu Colt that you had going! And you got a Land Cruiser, I know you can do jumps in those. ;)

This is what I've done most of my jumps in, a 1984 Toyota Corona, my uncle gave it to me when I was 13 and I've thrashed the **** out of it pretty much every day since I got it(as you can see by the state of the paddock :D), freaking indestructible, it hasn't been serviced in 8 years either!

You can't see it in that pic but it between the forest and one of those trees there's a dirt mound that's good for jumps, home made ramps (apart from dirt ones) are just suicide. :ack2:

I've always just kept my foot planted, it always came down **** near perfect too, just needs more suspension travel.

I wish we had hills too, W.A is so flat. :(

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
Half those ramps where shorter than the wheel base. If jumped my kart the least I'd get would be a broken back. (No suspension)

T-man

Reaction score
It looks to me that they all fliped over because the front of the kart extended out past the wheels, right at impact the steel grabed the ground and over they went.
Design a kart where the tires go past the front and I bet that wont happen ... as long as the kart isn't to steep of an angle when it hits the ground. Its this principle why professional sand rails are built the way they are.

redsox985

Reaction score
This video below should be saved somewhere to further prove why seat belts and karts without cages don't mix. Look how he flops in half but his arse never leaves the seat. He nearly adds a 90* bend to his neck.

Also, this shows why the kill switch needs to be moved up front, it takes him a few seconds to find it behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Cf63Qnn5E

Status
Not open for further replies.