I want to buy slicks for my go kart but don't know where to start

imjustjoshinnn

go fast go fast go fast
Reaction score
My go kart has 7 inch wheels in the back and 6 inch wheels in the front. The back tires are 16x8-7 and the front tires are 145/70-6. I want to buy a new set of wheels that I can mount some slicks on for driving this thing on asphalt and similar surfaces. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for wheels and tires that would suit this well.

I've also got a relatively large sprocket that you can see in the second photo so whatever I decide to buy has to be large enough where that doesn't hit the ground

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I don’t know if you will find slicks in those size rims but you will find a road type tread in those sizes. Try Tractor Supply, Wall Mart, Northern Catalog, you know the usual suspects.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You could try gokart supply I seem to remember they might have had some larger sized slicks. Sorry it takes my old brain some time to remember sometimes.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
If you want split rims, Azusa steel wheels are what I use (5" front and 6" rear). Get the wide halves for the back. I usually get tubes and replacement slicks from eBay.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Got all my 6" split rims (and tubes w/L-SHAPED STEMS) from MFG Supply. Funny thing about them, the simple straight-thru rear rims for 1" live axles cost more ($34) than the same size front rims ($25) with 3/4" bearings installed.
You need to get the widest rims you can though, not those narrow ones.