How would i hook led lights to a 420

dtippery08

Reaction score
I just bought a cart with a 420 predator, they had led lights hooked to a switch but I relocated the ignition and want to hook the lights directly in to the ignition. What terminal should I solder into so they run when the cat is running?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Do you know which wire from the ignition comes from the positive side of the battery? You should branch off another wire from it to a separate switch for the lights. If the 420 wires up like the 212, it shuts down by grounding out the coil, not by running the battery power to anything in the ignition system. If you have a relay that's fired constant hot from the ON position of the ignition, you can branch off of the relay to get a constant battery voltage to some lights while the key is ON. Just remember that the battery voltage is for starting and charging circuits. You can't run lights off of the wire going to the starter for sure, and you just need to use a meter to find what wire gets that constant positive voltage when the key is ON. Even the cheapest volt/ohm/meter will let you find that stuff, just don't use it for any voltage that can kill you. Get a real meter for that.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the factory ignition switch, but if it has a terminal/wire with +12v in "RUN" and open circuit in the "OFF" position, then that would conceivably work as accessory power that acts like running lights. Ideally it would also be off during cranking so accessories don't rob power from the starter. Universal ignition switches are available that do that.

Willie1

Reaction score
I use these diagrams to wire most re-powers I do that have charging coils and electric start. I showed both variations
of turning the lights on. I just use the common Craftsman/AYP key switch for a riding mower.

Attachments

• Trike Wiring Craftsman Switch D.jpg
    Trike Wiring Craftsman Switch D.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Trike Wiring Craftsman Switch E.jpg
    Trike Wiring Craftsman Switch E.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 4
  • Craftsman Key Switch B.jpg
    Craftsman Key Switch B.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 4