How to weld better

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good suggestion by mikeandike to include a welding forum. I am thinking that you can post your welding questions, your general building questions, etc. Stuff like, "is this a good weld?" Is this what you all think is a good idea, or un-needed?

So, if anyone has suggestions on expanding, or contracting the scope of this forum, let us know!

TraderJack

Reaction score
Welding Tip

I've been welding with a MIG for about 2 years now. I learned to stick weld years ago but wanted to do something different. Stick welders just butcher thin metals. It's almost impossible to weld on sheet metal with a stick welder. I can weld any thickness up to 1/2 inch steel with my MIG.

So here's a tip: Never underestimate the value of preparing the metal surfaces prior to beginning your weld. Make sure that all oil, dirt, grime and rust has been removed. I use a wire brush attachment that fits on an electric drill just like a bit. I make sure that I take the time to thoroughly "brighten" all the surfaces that are to be welded. It's not a bad idea to similarly clean the spot where the ground clamp is going to be attached.

This will help no matter what type welder one uses.

-Jack

mikeandike

Reaction score
I just started stick welding yesterday :). i find it very amusing. Once i get good at stick i'll move onto mig then onto tig (i have access to all of them). All i was doing was welding beads down a big 2 or 2 1/2" pipe 1/4" thick so it looked like a tree trunk. i was having a little trouble starting a new rod otherwise it went pretty good.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah it's all about getting that stick started. When you start mig it's going to mess with you -- since you don't move the gun toward the work you'll be pushing the gun onto the work a lot. I find it hard to go back and forth because of the two styles. Have fun with it!

Reaction score
i can stick weld pretty good for a self taught back yard welder, but i have always had trouble with a mig. its not from feeding the gun into the weld for me, its i just cant see what im doing. part of it i cant help cause im almost 50 now and im real far sighted. i have to use reading classes under my visor plus a magnifing lens on the visor also. this is made worse because the mig doesnt make as much light and i have to get too close. i need a better helmet but cant afford that now. i have found it better if i make sure there are no lights on above or behind my head.-phil

Kartmofo

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I need to do some welding on my kart but need to buy a welder and need some tips. On the good side, my metal class teaches welder use, MIG, TIG, and Oxy/acetaline so thats a bonus!:)

robin

Reaction score
i had ago at arc when we had a small honda bike ther was a small hole on the exhaust 1/4 inch wide so i tried to weld. it and as soon as i touched it with the rod ther was like a 3/4 hole in it. i then fixed it with gum gum a tin can and a hose clip and it was fine. i welded up part of my bike with mig and it was easy compaird to arci will have to get som pics and show of my welds:)

mikeandike

Reaction score
well ive started mgi and stick welding. gettin wayyyyyyy better at starting an arc with stick. last time i tried only got it stuck at the beginning. hoping to finish the welding on my gokart myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.